Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Fatal Error

• Please log in to reply

Griffinz

Griffinz

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello, I have just bought a new computer. I have installed windows vista, and the latest windows updates.
Then from time to time, I would get a blue screen of death and a reboot of my system.

The error code is either:

driver_not_less_or_equal
irql_not_less_or_equal

The problem seems to occur whenever I am downloading or installing an application. For example, during the installation of Windows Live Messenger, or during the installation of Norton Internet Security, or during downloading of windows updates or game updates etc. Sometimes, the blue screen would occur again upon reboot, but normally it would shut down my system during an installation of some kind.

I have installed the latest direct x and the latest nvidia video drivers. But the blue screen is still haunting me. Can anyone here give me some technical support?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Griffinz

Griffinz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It seems that Norton Internet Security 2008 is causing the problem.
After I uninstalled it, the blue screens disappeared. But I have purchased Norton Internet Security and I want to use it to protect my computer against malware. Does anyone know why it is causing me problems on Vista?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Support and 'returns' can be found here.
http://www.symantec....rt/cs/dtree.jsp

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download, and install WhoCrashed: http://www.resplende...rashedSetup.exe
Open it, click Analyze button.
The program will create report
Copy, and paste it into your next reply.