Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Counter Strike Source

• Please log in to reply

IaBi

IaBi

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hello,

When i start playing on Counter Strike Source it isn't running correctly.
Firstly, when i'm trying to play it keeps on jumping and freezing, even though i've got more than the recommended specification for this game it still happens

Has anyone got any idea on why this might be or how to solve this problem

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hello,

When i start playing on Counter Strike Source it isn't running correctly.
Firstly, when i'm trying to play it keeps on jumping and freezing, even though i've got more than the recommended specification for this game it still happens

Has anyone got any idea on why this might be or how to solve this problem

It could be many things. Try updating your video card drivers, Do a virus scan and adware/malware scan.

List your pc specs also.

IaBi

IaBi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hello Jrm20,

Thanks for the reply
I've just finnished doing a Virus Scan for Malware, viruses, etc ...
Could you please tell me how i can update my video card drivers
and my computer spec is :

Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M
2800+799 MHz
960 MB of RAM
250GB HHD

... is there anything else you need to know ???

IaBi

IaBi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Could you tell me where i can learn about what kind of graphics card i have (ie: DirectX 9/ DirectX 7)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hello Jrm20,

Thanks for the reply
I've just finnished doing a Virus Scan for Malware, viruses, etc ...
Could you please tell me how i can update my video card drivers
and my computer spec is :

Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M
2800+799 MHz
960 MB of RAM
250GB HHD

... is there anything else you need to know ???

That is not enough info for me to find out what video card you have.

What brand and model number is your laptop?

IaBi

IaBi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hi, its not a laptop it a desktop

My PC is a eMachines 3210
but it has been upgraded heavily since i bought the PC

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi, its not a laptop it a desktop

My PC is a eMachines 3210
but it has been upgraded heavily since i bought the PC

Well the Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M threw me off as that is normally a laptop cpu but I have seen it before in a desktop also.

Since it has been heavily upgraded I still need to know what video card you have. The default video card is usually an integrated one. If you have upgraded to a better video card I need to know it as I cannot guess what you have.

Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M
2800+799 MHz

One problem I see is you posted the cpu having only 799mhz, are you sure this is correct? Your cpu should be running at 2.13ghz so something tells me it is not set properly in bios perhaps. Those older mobos/pc's did not have a power saving mode like the newer pc's / laptops do.
That could be what is causing your game problems and if it is an integrated video card that is the reason also.

Edited by jrm20, 06 January 2009 - 08:33 PM.

IaBi

IaBi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hi Again,

Erm ... i havn't changed my video card so that will be the same

and this 799MHz is what appears in the general tab on properties in my computer (picture attached)

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi Again,

Erm ... i havn't changed my video card so that will be the same

and this 799MHz is what appears in the general tab on properties in my computer (picture attached)

Ya the cpu speed is not being detected correctly as you will have to dig up forums for your particular pc as I am not familiar with that BIOS. Motherboards have different bioses they are not all the same. Sounds like the multiplier is not set correctly.

As for your whole pc in general please do not get mad but that pc is not sufficient to play css because of your video card and lack of upgradability. For your next PC you will want to get a dedicated video card to play css or any of these newer games. Integrated video cards are not meant for gaming but I only know of 2 onboard video cards that are actually Decent for (INTEGRATED) but they are only on a few of the newer mobos within a year or so old.

The bad thing is that your motherboard only has regular pci slots. This is not good as the regular pci video cards are not much faster than the integrated and this technology is 6-7+ years old and I do not recommend dishing out money for a card in my opinion.

You can do what you want but I recommend getting a brand new pc for gaming.

IaBi

IaBi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hello Again JrM20

Well, thank you very much for all your help, i really appreciate it. In the current economic crisis i don't think its a very good idea buying an new PC for gaming at the moment, i'll just keep playing on Counter Strike 1.6 as that works great. Tho for the next time i buy a new PC i'll bare that in mind
Thanks again