Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing the CPU Fan, if needed

• Please log in to reply

orwell

orwell

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
The fan on my Intel Core 2 Duo X6800 has been acting rather odd lately, it continues to spin, but it's at a slower speed than usual, and the fan looks to bob a little bit when it IS spinning. I'm also having problems with overheating when there is a high graphic demand. I'm not sure if the two are related or not, I intend to replace the power supply to better accomdate my system, but does the CPU fan need replacing as well? If so, are there any recommended brands I should try to find for it? I've never had to replace a fan, let alone a CPU fan before. Do I just need a new fan? Is there a whole kit I need? I've read something about needing to re-apply thermal paste if I remove the fan and that if not done exactly right can fry the whole system, any validity to this? My PC only came with a little overview information, and no useful instructions, I was wondering if there was a guide to this?

If any more information is needed, please let me know. I'm not sure what else is relevant, since the PSU is going to be replaced.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

The fan on my Intel Core 2 Duo X6800 has been acting rather odd lately, it continues to spin, but it's at a slower speed than usual, and the fan looks to bob a little bit when it IS spinning. I'm also having problems with overheating when there is a high graphic demand. I'm not sure if the two are related or not, I intend to replace the power supply to better accomdate my system, but does the CPU fan need replacing as well? If so, are there any recommended brands I should try to find for it? I've never had to replace a fan, let alone a CPU fan before. Do I just need a new fan? Is there a whole kit I need? I've read something about needing to re-apply thermal paste if I remove the fan and that if not done exactly right can fry the whole system, any validity to this? My PC only came with a little overview information, and no useful instructions, I was wondering if there was a guide to this?

If any more information is needed, please let me know. I'm not sure what else is relevant, since the PSU is going to be replaced.

Do you see a lot of dust inside of your pc? It would not hurt to replace the cpu fan from what you said. It might not be seated down properly or it may be wearing out.

Don't buy a new power supply yet, list me the specs of your pc and what power supply you have. The PSU I doubt has anything to do with it but if you have a cheapie psu it is always a good idea to replace that asap.

Everything is included with the fan and it will actually have a heatsink/fan together and what you will need to do is follow the instructions when you get it to install and seat the heatsink properly onto your cpu. Yes make sure you clean off the old thermal paste and put on the new which will come with the fan. Or you can get a little better thermal paste separately and Arctic Silver is about the best you can find.

Since you will be inside of the case you will need to keep yourself grounded to the metal chassis of the case at all times to prevent ESD electro-static discharge which will ruin your pc's vital parts.

orwell

orwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Motherboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo X6800
Ram Corsair XMS DDR2-800 1024MBx3 EPP
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce 7950GX2
Sound Card The one that came with the motherboard
Storage 4x500gb SATAII drives
Floppy Drive 3.5inch 1.44 Floppy Drive
CD / DVD Plextor 16x DVD-RW Dual Layer SATA
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM (This is originally what it was, I'm not sure of the new model in there)
Case Lian-Li V2000B Full-Tower
Power Supply Seasonic S12 Series 600W Power Supply

Lately is relative, the main hdd died about a month ago and since I have a second, older computer that was functional I've been mostly using this. When I was doing fan testing on it, the CPU fan speed was typically I believe in the 1400 range, but recently would hover around 1100RPM. The CPU fan would never get above 700RPM or so at the best of times about two months ago by now. I've asked around elsewhere and generally had it suggested that 600W was an acceptable limit, but should probably be higher which is one of the reasons I was looking into getting a larger PSU. Not to mention I'd prefer to have a PSU that would support more hdd's.

Short of taking it apart there is hardly any dust I can see in there, and all the other fans besides the ones I've mentioned appear to be running at normal speeds just fine.

orwell

orwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So uh... any suggestions?

orwell

orwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I take it this help topic is dead?