Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking XP/Vista 32/64 bit wired/wireless file/printer share

• Please log in to reply

therapistfinder

therapistfinder

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello I need help with creating a network, I visited the sticky and saw that it was for XP operating systems. I also tried F1 Help and tech support at Windows' website but could never get the network to work correctly.

My setup is as follows:

The cable modem is connected to the wall with a COAX cable. A CAT5 connects the modem to the router. The router I use is a D-Link DI-524 Rev C with the latest firmware upgrade.

I have two desktop computers wired to a router with a CAT5 cable and 4 laptops that are connected with built-in wireless cards.
-1 desktop runs Windows XP 32 bit
-1 desktop runs Windwos Vista Home Premium 64 bit
-2 laptops run Windows XP 32 bit
-2 laptops run Windows Vista 32 bit

Ideally I would like to create a network where I can share the printer which is connected to the desktop running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I would also like to be able to share files between all of the computers if possible! :)

Edited by therapistfinder, 07 January 2009 - 07:07 AM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Have a look at this Thread for the printer part and see if you can get it working.

therapistfinder

therapistfinder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I couldn't get it to work.

therapistfinder

therapistfinder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Are there known issues with Vista's networking capabilities?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey therapistfinder,

What steps have you taken so far to try and get this network up and running? Are all of the computers able to connect to the Internet fine?

Setting up printer and file sharing is generally a pretty straight-forward process, unless of course there is some sort of software interference. I'm going to refer to your 64-bit computer as the "main computer" since it has the printer attached to it.

On the main computer, press the Start button and then type network into the search field; select Network and Sharing Center. In the new window, what are the following options set to (i.e. ON or OFF) -- Network discovery, File sharing, Printer sharing.

Not really sure what you have done / not done so far, so I'll wait to hear back from you before we go on.

- Dan

therapistfinder

therapistfinder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Everything is off.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Okay well the first thing to do would be to switch all of those things to ON. On one of your XP computers, can you please run the Network Setup Wizard. Once you have done that, look in Network Places and see if the two machines can see each other; can they?