Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP BSOD, multiple stop codes

• Please log in to reply

Rileys Dad

Rileys Dad

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 5100. I recently upgraded to 1 MB of RAM in 2 512MB PNY Modules. The system was fully updated w/ XP SP 3 and was running fine. Last week, I installed a Belkin Wireless G Notebook Card, Model F5D7010v8. On reboot, I would get the BSOD w/ the stop code 0x0000007E. I would get it for 3 or 4 boots, then the system would boot and run fine, then 3 or 4 boots, and so on. When it would boot succesfully, the Belkin notebook card worked flawlesly. I disabled the Belkin drivers, and had no problems w/ any BSOD occurrences. I contacted Belkin, they told me they didn't have drivers for SP3 and recommended I roll back to SP2. I did that, and re-actived the drivers and on the next boot got a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA message with win32k.sys. I re-booted, and the system booted fine. I was in the middle of downloading XP updates, and I got another BSOD, this time with the stop code 0x0000008E.

I have a Fujitsu 30GB hard drive. I ran the built in XP test and it passed. I downloaded and ran Fujitsu's HD utility and passed both the short and extended test. Memtest86+ v1.7 is currently running from an Image CD during boot. So far, it has completed 2 passes w/ no errors found. I'm waiting for it to finish at least 7 passes. I attempted to update my BIOS from Dell's support website, and they have an updated BIOS for my system, but when I attempt to flash it, it will not allow me to continue and tells me I have an unsupported system.

Any other suggestions on where I can look, or possibly on known issues and work arounds w/ the Belkin drivers and Windows XP?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first...try uninstalling the Belkin drivers completely ...reinstall them...
try booting WITHOUT the Wireless G Notebook Card plugged in...
after getting booted ..plug in the card...let us know what happens...

Rileys Dad

Rileys Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I had actually already done that once. The machine booted fine, and then as soon as I plugged the card in I got the BSOD. I believe it was the 7E error code that time, but I don't remember for sure. Do you want me to go through that again, or try something else? What has me flummoxed is how it's so intermittent...if I'm patient and boot several times, I can get a successful boot and the card works just fine.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its the card or the driver...I would replace it with a different brand...

Edited by happyrock, 05 January 2009 - 09:18 PM.

Rileys Dad

Rileys Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I was afraid you would say that. Thanks, I'll give it a try!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
should have included this link here for the usb style...under $25.00...its what I use and recommend