Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing RAM

• Please log in to reply

kwasi

kwasi

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I ordered a dual-channel RAM kit an it will be here tomorrow. I was wondering if there is anything to installing it besides putting it into slots 1 and 3 and turning on my computer.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Nothing fancy to it, shove it in and switch it on.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
All you do is install the ram into the ram slots on the motherboard and turn on the system, Neil is correct the procedure is pretty straight forward.

The only other time you might have to do anything else is if you get more expensive higher end gaming ram with a very HIGH SPEED data rate (just an example off of my head) ddr2 1200 pc2 9600 for instance. Then all you might need to do is up the voltage and or timings in the bios.

You will not have to worry about what I said above as I just wanted you to learn something. :)

*EDIT*
LOL @ my spelling error, but I fixed it.

Edited by jrm20, 05 January 2009 - 11:12 PM.

kwasi

kwasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks guys. I got it installed and didn't fry anything.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Nice work. :)

Now go and fry some eggs for breakfast! :)

Troy