Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I change my nickname?

• Please log in to reply

choicefresh

choicefresh

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I registered a long time ago, and I want my username to be the name showing up next to my posts, instead of my full name, for privacy reasons. Is there a way to change it? I looked through the account settings, but couldn't find anything.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You would need to PM one of the admins ( the ones in red ) about changing it

Am sure they would have no problem doing it

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for the feedback. :)

I thought we had permissions set to allow members to change their usernames every 30 days. Otherwise it's simply too confusing. However, using my test account I don't see the option to change a display name. I'll investigate further to see what I can find.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That option is even available? It's always been "PM an Admin".

I don't think you should give anyone the ability to change their own name... That sounds like it could get really confusing to me...

And to the OP, how were we supposed to know it was your name? You gave yourself away. :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
To the best of my knowledge, our members have never had the ability to change their names - as Troy said, they've always had to PM an admin to get it changed.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

To the best of my knowledge, our members have never had the ability to change their names - as Troy said, they've always had to PM an admin to get it changed.

Perhaps its time has come :) ...

I agree, though, that it will confuse things greatly.. Thank you notes, Practise Logs, quote boxes, etc would all be incorrect after a name change. The 30 day thing would be necessary, of course.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I was thinking that for people who like to choose unacceptable usernames, it makes policing that much harder. What's to stop them from changing it to something unacceptable again after 30 days?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The fact that Admin doesn't change it?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Obviously. I meant if that were the policy. :)