Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with Booting from CD

• Please log in to reply

ekail

ekail

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey all...

I'm having trouble setting my BIOS to have CD in the boot order. The CD-ROM works fine for all uses inside Windows XP, but in BIOS if I try to set it to boot from CD, it's listed as CD-ROM Device (Not Installed). And it doesn't show up in primary/secondary slave/master list, either.

I'm using a Dell Dimension 8100 and the CD-ROM is an LG 40x12x40 RW. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been tearing my hair out all day.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
That's very odd, sounds like it's not being recognized by your BIOS, but it is by Windows. First be sure the IDE channel is set to 'auto-detect'. Next, check the jumpers on the back of the device. If it's the only device on that channel, it should be set to master.