Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Needed - NT Authority\system

• Please log in to reply

El_Barco

El_Barco

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

Im looking for some help/advice, im currently running windows xp i have today got my pc back on the internet, ive just completed the xp service pack 2 update and now the following message NT Authority\System Error Message: "This system is shutting down. Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly." has appeared and my pc keeps rebooting taking 10 mins to close down and 10 mins to log back on, then as soon as the desktop is loading the error message is reappearing, my menu bar at the bottom does not show and then it logs out in 59 seconds. Any advice on how i can get this off !!!!!!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing to do is to get into safe mode by hitting the F8 key while the computer is booting up. you will get this window.

http://www.online-te...-mode-thumb.png

SOLUTION

To resolve this issue in Windows 2000 and XP you will need to perform the following steps:

* Change the settings for the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service in order to connect to the internet without the computer shutting down

Note: This does not work in every case.
To change these settings you will need to perform the following:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop or in the Start menu.
2. Select Manage. The Computer Management window will open.
3. In the left pane, double-click on Services and Applications.
4. Select Services and a list of services should appear.
5. In the right pane, locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, it will have a Status of "Started".

Note: This will be the first in a listing of two Remote Procedure Call (RPS) services.

1. Right-click on the first Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service listed.
2. Select Properties.
3. Select the Recovery tab.
4. Using the drop-down lists, change First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures from Restart the Computer to Take No Action.
5. Click on Apply and then OK.

Now you will need to remove the blaster worm. Please check in the malware forum to remove it.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

CAUTION: Make sure that you change these settings back after completing the final step to remove the worm.

SRX660

El_Barco

El_Barco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi SRX660

thanks for the advice I've loaded the pc in safe mode, however it wont let me access the properties menu on the Remote Procedure Call. When i placed the network cable back in the message appeared again and it started to shut down. Any other suggestions on how i can remove the virus. I have access to the internet via my laptop.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
See if this will work.

http://www.symantec....-081119-5051-99

SRX660