Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LSASS.EXE error

• Please log in to reply

afix58

afix58

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello! I'm having pretty big problem with my Dell Dimension 4700 desktop computer. I've seen the same problem elsewhere on this site, but unfortunately, the people who post the problems never seem to return to say how they fixed it.

This happened suddenly a few days ago. My computer shut down unexpectedly and restarted all the way to the light blue screen before the login screen and I get an LSASS.EXE error which says:

"When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct."

I've tried using recovery console, but it asks for an administrator password, and I'm positive I never set one.

Many of the solutions I found involve doing things that can't be accomplished without logging into Windows, and obviously, that's not working for me at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Attempt booting into safe mode by repeatedly tapping f8 on your keyboard as soon as you power on the PC. Select "Safe Mode" and it should proceed to boot. It should also make available a hidden user account labeled "Administrator" first try logging into the account you normally use.

I can't help you recover any passwords on the PC if one has been set though. I'm sorry :/

afix58

afix58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Unfortunately I get the same LSASS.EXE error when starting Safe Mode as I do when starting Windows normally. None of the options on the F8 menu yield any positive results in trying to get into XP

afix58

afix58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've tried using Windows repair...it goes through the motions and whatnot but unfortunately the lsass.exe error still persists. It gets to the light blue screen before the XP login screen and it says "Setup is restarting" or something like that, then gives me the lsass.exe error.