Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Happened and What's wrong with my Computer?

• Please log in to reply

networkz

networkz

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Okay..this is REALLY strange...I was watching basketball on justin.tv and then I closed it to watch something else on TV. I came back up stairs(where my computer is) and I wanted to check the stats on yahoo.com and something popped up like "You have been affected by something something and wants you to download AntiVirus 2009 or something" "Okay or Cancel" obviously, I'm not an idiot so I pressed cancel and closed the website that it opens after, this happened for like 5x, like everytime I tried to open a different site on Firefox, it would just pop that up, it got kinda annoying so I googled around and found out what the problem was.

I, then downloaded malwarebytes anti malware and followed the instructions provided(IE: DL from their site; install it; run quick scan and select all then remove it) as it was scanning and I'm guessing it was almost done..like 80% or so since it took 20minutes(and counting) cause my computer isn't the fastest haha. THEN suddenly, the BLUE SCREEN came up with a lot of words, so I read a bit, like if this is your first time seeing this, just reboot and if you've seen this more then once and go check your hardware etc etc)

So I thought nothing of it and I restarted, then it kept giving me the "BOOT DISK FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT BOOT DISK and press ENTER" until I actually shut the computer off for 5 minutes and turned it back on, it didn't give me the error anymore BUT I was unable to go into windows AT ALL; I've tried to go into safe-mode, normal and last known configuration..nothing works..

It usually loads up until where the Windows Icon appears and the progress bar at the bottom just moves around. Then it just restarts itself...

I'm not really sure what the problem is..could anyone shed some light on it?

It was working fine before and such, never had the "antivirus 2009" thing nor have had my computer restarting, the blue screen and not being able to load up windows..

Thank You in Advance!

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello networkz,

The malware has probably affected some system files that windows required to boot.
IF you still have your windows XP disk I suggest you follow this thread on how to repair XP.

After you repair windows XP, I suggest you go to this topic and follow the steps outlined there.
Once you post your HijackThis log in that forum PLEASE include that you had to do a windows repair as the windows repairing process removes your service packs.
If you still have a problem after your PC is cleaned by malware, or you can't get into windows after repairing XP then post back here and I will do my best to help you.

Regards,
Olrik

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Would it be possible to use the recovery console? like burn it onto a CD and use that?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I believe there are no commands for the Recovery Console that will fix this issue.

Regards,
Olrik

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Err..so I tried to follow the repair and I THINK I pressed the correct buttons...but I dont see the "Repair" thing...

http://img101.images...v9040024ss1.jpg

I'm stuck there now...did I press something wrong or what happened?

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Artellos??? @_@a

justingong2008

justingong2008

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hey , are you watching NBA game on the justin.tv ?
Don't tell me you are watching rockets there . lol

Didn't u have an antivirus software on ur computer ? I ll suggest you to take all ur data off that computer, and format the computer , reload windows again. Either with a ghost image on xp or official copy.

good luck

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

hey , are you watching NBA game on the justin.tv ?
Don't tell me you are watching rockets there . lol

Didn't u have an antivirus software on ur computer ? I ll suggest you to take all ur data off that computer, and format the computer , reload windows again. Either with a ghost image on xp or official copy.

good luck

LOL I was watching New Orleans vs Lakers

I had AVG + something shield...the icon is white =/ forgot what it was called. Neither of them detected it...cause all this happened in a span of 2hrs or less..

Well, I can't even get into Windows T__T but if I'm able to get in Windows then yeah, I'm going to back it up ASAP and reformat :)

Also to add, I tried the repair thing with a burned copy of Windows XP Pro, since I was unable to find my original copy of Windows XP. So I DL'd it off a BT site, it was a .daa file and burned it onto a CD. Not sure if that makes a difference with the "repairing" process

justingong2008

justingong2008

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Should be the same. No much difference in that DOS environment

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

LOL I was watching New Orleans vs Lakers

I had AVG + something shield...the icon is white =/ forgot what it was called. Neither of them detected it...cause all this happened in a span of 2hrs or less..

Well, I can't even get into Windows T__T but if I'm able to get in Windows then yeah, I'm going to back it up ASAP and reformat :)

Also to add, I tried the repair thing with a burned copy of Windows XP Pro, since I was unable to find my original copy of Windows XP. So I DL'd it off a BT site, it was a .daa file and burned it onto a CD. Not sure if that makes a difference with the "repairing" process

Hello networkz,

I would like to open this post with a firm warning on Peer to Peer programs. Quoting from our Terms of Use:

We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.

A good cause why the disk didn't work is because it's an illegal disk. We won't help you as long as you're using pirated software.

Looking at the picture you made, it shows the C: drive as empty with an unknown format, It looks like that drive won't be recoverable.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 08 January 2009 - 04:52 PM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Quoting a private message from Networkz:

Hmm...honestly? It didn't work cause my version is pirated?

Cause I can always try to find it...if you don't believe me lol I even have an authentic windows key for it(not one I found from the net ^^)

So if I'm able to find my genuine XP, it's recoverable or what?

There was no need to PM me this as it could've been posted in this thread.

We don't help with pirated versions as stated in the Terms of Use.
If you want to receive any help here at Geeks to Go you will have to find your Genuine copy.
Though even if you do find your genuine copy, I fear that the drive might not be recoverable.

Regards,
Olrik

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
oh for some reason i thought the thread was closed lol

okay, well...how do I prove I have a genuine copy of windows?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
If threads get closed the staff member usually leaves a comment that they closed the thread.
A way you can prove you have a genuine copy of windows is downloading the MGA Diagnostics and showing us the log.
Instructions on the MGA Diag can be found below:

Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and post back the report it shall produce:
  • Download MGADiag to your desktop.
  • Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program
  • Click "Continue"
  • Ensure that the "Windows" tab is selected (it should be by default).
  • Click the "Copy" button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.
  • Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report back here in your next reply.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 09 January 2009 - 04:24 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Networkz, Artellos asked for some advice with this thread and we've seen some things here that are bringing up some ideas on fixing your computer

it looks like one of 2 things has happened to your C: drive...

#1 something has gone wrong and your drive has been completely emptied (this has been known to happen with certain antivirus programs...one of which is MBAM though it's rare)...

#2 something has gone equally wrong (possibly with less drastic consequences) and the partition table on the C: drive has been corrupted...the partition table basically tells the system where everything is on the drive. without it a drive can show as empty but not really be empty.

in the course of some other research a program has been found that can repair the partition table and make your system usable again (assuming that this is just a partition table problem)..... i've not used the program yet so i'd like to read their documentation/instructions further before giving you more advice on the subject....please refrain from doing ANY other modifications to the corrupted drive until i come back with some steps....i should have you something before the end of the day

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

So I thought nothing of it and I restarted, then it kept giving me the "BOOT DISK FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT BOOT DISK and press ENTER" until I actually shut the computer off for 5 minutes and turned it back on, it didn't give me the error anymore BUT I was unable to go into windows AT ALL; I've tried to go into safe-mode, normal and last known configuration..nothing works..

It usually loads up until where the Windows Icon appears and the progress bar at the bottom just moves around. Then it just restarts itself...

actually after re-reading the post....is it still doing this? is it still getting to the windows logo etc?