Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Happened and What's wrong with my Computer?

• Please log in to reply

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Hi networkz...

Click Start, then Run, type services.msc and click "Ok".

In the Services window, locate "Plug and Play"...click on it, set the Startup Type to "Automatic", and click the "Start" button.

Does this allow Device Manager to populate?

wannabe1

is there a way to see the bar? I can't see it =/ I tried pressing the windows key but nothing happens...so I can't get to "start -> Run"

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Give everything a try.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ctrl + Alt + Delete

"New Task" button

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Would it be faster if you boot to Safe Mode Command Prompt? If faster, run the following command and restore the computer to a previous date:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

How do you do run this or execute it on DOS?

I tried to just put in %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and nothing happens.. lol.. =/

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Try running Regedit.exe at the Command prompt. Would that brings the Registry Editor? Any error message?

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Safe mode with Command Prompt takes the same amount of time to load as just "safe mode" ....

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Try running Regedit.exe at the Command prompt. Would that brings the Registry Editor? Any error message?

done and it opened regedit

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Navigate to the System key on both of these locations:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system]

Remove the following data if present:

"RunLogonScriptSync"
"RunStartupScriptSync"

This is how. First the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key:

Click on the +sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then scroll down to Software and click on the +sign next to it, scroll down to Microsoft and click on the +sign next to it, Scroll down to Windows and click on the +sign next to it, scroll down to Currenversion and click on the +sign next to it, Scroll down to Policies and click on the +sign next to it, scroll down to System. This time click on System to highlight the key. Look at the right panel. If present, delete the following data entries:

"RunLogonScriptSync"
"RunStartupScriptSync".

That should also be done in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER as follows:

Click on the +sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then scroll down to Software and click on the +sign next to it, scroll down to Microsoft and click on the +sign next to it, Scroll down to Windows and click on the +sign next to it, scroll down to Currenversion and click on the +sign next to it, Scroll down to Policies and click on the +sign next to it, scroll down to System. This time click on System to highlight the key. Look at the right panel. If present, delete the following data entries:

"RunLogonScriptSync"
"RunStartupScriptSync".

Close the editor and restart the computer.

Let me know the outcome.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Okay, first step with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, I don't see the RunLogonScriptSync etc then the 2nd step with HKEY_CURRENT_USER, It only goes up to "policies" so I'm unable to go Policies -> System, theirs only a folder called "Explorer" in the policies tab.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE; the only thing inside the "system" folder is (Default) ; dontdisplaylastusername ; legalnoticecaptaion; legalnoticetext; shutdownwithoutlogon; undockwithoutlogon

Edited by networkz, 13 January 2009 - 06:25 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
That's OK. It means the key does not exists. I am just troubleshooting. There are many things that could be wrong.

At the prompt type the following and Press Enter:

Msconfig.exe

Tell me if the Configuration Utility is displayed. Is the computer still so slow you can't connect?

Advertisements

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Well it's not REALLY slow...but it's slow and I just typed in msconfig.exe and it saids "msconfig.exe" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch.

btw I have class right now :) so I'll do your steps/instructions when I come back ^^ thx

Edited by networkz, 13 January 2009 - 07:55 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Can you connect in Safe Mode with Networking and able to download?

Run this:

C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Is there a way I can save some documents/files on the infected computer? I'd be happy and fine if I'm able to backup/save those files then I'll just reformat.

During safe mode, I tried to move some files from my C:\ to F:\ drive but no dice, didn't work =/

Edit: so it takes roughly 15-20minutes or so to go from Safe Mode to the "Select User" screen then another 10-min after to load the whole desktop and such

Edit2: Just tried to run rstrui.exe in Safe Mode(Not on Command Prompt) and it saids "System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again."

Edit3: I tried going into "Start Windows Normally" after like 15min's of waiting, it finally worked. I still can't drag any files from C to F drive or vice-versa and it seems to be just like safe-mode but without the huge icons. I tried to run MSN and other programs but this error keeps popping up: "Bad Image; The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"

It seems like I can't open any images either, double click -> nothing happens, nothing loads. I can't open IE/FF nor see if I'm currently connected to the internet; I tried to open Command Prompt and typed in netstat -n and tried to ping but this error pops up "Bad Image; The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\wship6.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

Paint works; notepad also works, not sure what else works though..

Edit4: Weird...I opened a zip file containing some pictures and they loaded with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer PERFECTLY but I cannot open images by double clicking on them, HOWEVER I CAN right clicked and go to "Open with -> Windows Pictures and Fax Viewer" and WA LA it works! BUT I cannot drag + drop or just drop in general. I can't even Right click -> Copy and paste..

Edited by networkz, 14 January 2009 - 04:26 AM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Seems to me that the registry is corrupted. If you have a Windows XP CD, a Repair Install can be performed. If successful you will be able to backup all you can, then reformat the partition for a clean install.

Here is information on how to do that.:

http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

Keep us posted.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
What's next? ^^