Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I Use 2x1GB and 2x2GB Ram In This Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi.

I'm upgrading my computer and I've bought the MSI P7N SLI motherboard. I already have 2 sticks of RAM which are 1GB each (533Mhz). Would it be possible for me to buy another 2 sticks of RAM which are 2GB each and put these on the motherboard as well as the 1GB ones?

If so, are there any stipulation which would make it work (e.g. all need to be 533Mhz, same manufacturer etc)?

My old motherboard would only allow RAM of the same size/speed to be used and I don't know if this is true of all/modern motherboards.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by hypnoticstate, 07 January 2009 - 05:51 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

In theory, yes this should work. Sometimes you'll find it's not always the case in practice, however.

The theory behind it says that the faster RAM you purchase will be throttled to match the slower speed. It doesn't have to be the same manufacturer.

When it comes to my recommendation, however, I strongly recommend to always use matched sets. There's a much higher chance of it working.

Don't forget 6GB will be useless in a 32-bit OS, you won't even see all 4GB if you install only the new 2x 2GB RAM.

Troy

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hi there,

In theory, yes this should work. Sometimes you'll find it's not always the case in practice, however.

The theory behind it says that the faster RAM you purchase will be throttled to match the slower speed. It doesn't have to be the same manufacturer.

When it comes to my recommendation, however, I strongly recommend to always use matched sets. There's a much higher chance of it working.

Don't forget 6GB will be useless in a 32-bit OS, you won't even see all 4GB if you install only the new 2x 2GB RAM.

Troy

Thanks for the help. In that case, I'll just match what I've got and stick to 4GB.

ghost_reader

ghost_reader

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi.

I'm upgrading my computer and I've bought the MSI P7N SLI motherboard. I already have 2 sticks of RAM which are 1GB each (533Mhz). Would it be possible for me to buy another 2 sticks of RAM which are 2GB each and put these on the motherboard as well as the 1GB ones?

If so, are there any stipulation which would make it work (e.g. all need to be 533Mhz, same manufacturer etc)?

My old motherboard would only allow RAM of the same size/speed to be used and I don't know if this is true of all/modern motherboards.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

first of all find out how much of maximum memory,which type of memory module(ddr1 ddr2 ddr3) ,how much of maximum frequency of memory module does ur motherboard support .........u shud hav all the modules of same frequency and if u want guarenteed compatibility it is a must to all of same brand... :)