Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MICROSOFT MESSAGED ME THAT I HAVE AN EXPIRED COA

• Please log in to reply

tomandpam

tomandpam

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been running XP Pro with no problems for the past five years, then suddenly on 12/31/08 I receive a message window from microsoft that my COA was invalid. I've attempted to enter my key code and contacted Microsoft, however they have claimed that my copy of windows is not genuine. I have been unable to restore my windows desktop or access any part of of my system other than the Microsoft website. I have been instructed to purchase a new copy of Windows XP or validate my key code with Microsoft for a similar amount. Can anyone offer any solutions?

Edited by tomandpam, 07 January 2009 - 09:42 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

they have claimed that my copy of windows is not genuine

Just like that? You didn't argue?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Product keys/COAs do not expire so far as XP is concerned.
It's entirely possible that a new batch of pirated keys have been blacklisted and flagged up, however it's more likely that this is a mistaken case, it wouldn't be the first time this has happened.
When Genuine Validation was first pushed out, the first thing it did was flag up every single VLK used by the big manufacturers as being non-genuine.