Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

which mother board is better?

• Please log in to reply

Hunter101

Hunter101

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Which of these two are better, http://www.asus.com/...n...l3=653&l4=0 OR http://www.asus.com/...amp;modelmenu=1?

Also is 1333mhz ram the highest(without overclocking) i can use for both of these motherboards? or would i be able to use 1800mhz ram(without overclocking)?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Which of these two are better, http://www.asus.com/...n...l3=653&l4=0 OR http://www.asus.com/...amp;modelmenu=1?

Also is 1333mhz ram the highest(without overclocking) i can use for both of these motherboards? or would i be able to use 1800mhz ram(without overclocking)?

They are both 2 totally different socket boards.

The P6T Deluxe is for the newer Intel Core I7 processors using the socket 1366.

The Striker II is for the core 2 duo/core 2 quad LGA 775 socket cpu's.

Depends on what CPU you want to get but both are good boards. No comparison between the 2 because of the different sockets so automatically the newer board would be better obviously.

Hunter101

Hunter101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
would i be able to use 1800mhz ram(without overclocking) with either of them? would i be right in guessing there is no motherboard that would support both core 2 duo and intel 7 because they are different sockets?

also could u tell me which would be better for high end gaming, the p6t Deluxe with the intel core i7 920 or the striker II with core 2 duo 3.16ghz?

Edited by Hunter101, 08 January 2009 - 11:16 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

would i be able to use 1800mhz ram(without overclocking) with either of them? would i be right in guessing there is no motherboard that would support both core 2 duo and intel 7 because they are different sockets?

also could u tell me which would be better for high end gaming, the p6t Deluxe with the intel core i7 920 or the striker II with core 2 duo 3.16ghz?

The core i7 920 2.66 cpu is overall the faster/newer and better cpu to buy vs the core 2 duo E8500 3.16ghz..

- i7 is a newer architecture which is always good and always a good performance boost as is, plus its a quad core vs the dual core core 2 duo e8500.. No comparison between the 2. Even though the clock speed is slower on the i7 920 it is still faster in every single benchmark I have seen, gaming and non gaming. IMO you want to go for a quad as they are more future proof for these newer games being released.

I would stick with the standard 1333 mhz ram unless you are serious about overclocking. That oc stuff is just to "their standards" if you wanted you can oc with 1333 ram with no problems. The higher mhz ram will almost always do better for overclocking though.

No since buying the 1800mhz ram unless you will be overclocking as almost always you will have to probably go into the bios and change some voltages / timings but ya you can use 1800mhz without having to overclock but it is pointless and a higher tech level is needed for this board if you go with the 1800mhz.

would i be right in guessing there is no motherboard that would support both core 2 duo and intel 7 because they are different sockets?

lol you have to go with one or the other socket type.. You are correct, it will not work as you have to match up the right sockets. The Core i7 cpu's use the LGA 1366 socket type so you will have to get a 1366 socket mobo..

Edited by jrm20, 08 January 2009 - 07:43 PM.