Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Monitor

• Please log in to reply

room7

room7

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have two monitors (Dell 22'' (Primary) & Vizio 42" (Secondary). I have a NVidia 8800 GT (640MB).
I set up the Vizio as an extended desktop, and only use it when Im watching a video and working at the same time.

My Question: If I only have one monitor on, does my video card work as hard as if both monitors were on?

Advertisements

Pvt. Riches

Pvt. Riches

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My guess would be no, but to test it you could download a Benchmarking program, and run it single monitor, and then dual, and see what the outcome is. I don't think it would make a huge difference, unless you were gaming on it, when it would chew up alot of video memory.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

My guess would be no, but to test it you could download a Benchmarking program, and run it single monitor, and then dual, and see what the outcome is. I don't think it would make a huge difference, unless you were gaming on it, when it would chew up alot of video memory.

If the monitor is off, then the video card only renders what goes to the display that is turned on. Otherwise, it would be VERY wasteful.

Pvt. Riches

Pvt. Riches

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I thought you meant if the video card was set up for single monitor only, as opposed to dual monitor. I didn't realize you meant just by turning the monitor off. The video card will send a signal to the video output regardless of whether or not the monitor/television is on, if that what you are asking.