Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet Con. after WIN XP Re-Install

• Please log in to reply

jravas82

jravas82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Good Morning - I saved the zip file to my desktop. What do I do after I extract the files? Let it download itself or upload them from somewhere else like device manager? Will this driver take care of the other drivers that are missing too?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just downloaded that one and dug around in it....let's ignore that one for a minute

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok let's do this one instead http://www.nvidia.co..._udp_winxp_2.45 download and run that driver installer

once you do that you SHOULD be able to get back on the internet and start looking for the other driver's you're missing...

i suggest once you get internet connectivity again to go http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us there and click on the button to automatically find your graphics and motherboard drivers (if any of those are the ones missing)...this might also suggest an update for the above ethernet driver

jravas82

jravas82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
dsenette: I got internet access now - woohoo!!! - I then went to the link to automatically detect the graphics driver I needed. It said I didn't need the motherboard driver though.

I then checked Device Manager and now the only driver that is not installed is the PCI Simple Communications Controller. How can I get the driver for this last one? I am waiting until I install all the drivers before I download my Antivirus software.

Also, I have been downloading Windows updates like SP2 and stuff.

~Much Thanks!!

jravas82

jravas82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ACTUALLY, I went to Device Manager again and right clicked on the controller, clicked update driver, it then connected to the internet.

I stepped away and when I came back I saw a pop up that said there was a problem installing hardware for a Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem and stated "This Device Cannot Start". There was never an issue with this device before. I don't know if I should worry about this because like I said before, we have an ARRIS modem from Comcast. Please advise on how to proceed.

jv

jravas82

jravas82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
dsenette: I hooked up the computer for my sister at her place and it is running better than ever. Thank you for your guidance!

Regards,

jv