Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection just died..

• Please log in to reply

GoingInsane

GoingInsane

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I have had a wireless connection in my room for over a year now. The main modem is at my dads computer down here where I am typing this now.Anyways this is how it happened.

I was just starting up my pc the other day and it wouldnt let me connect. My dad couldn't either so we took it to our retraded ISP guys and they though it was norton blocking it but it wasnt. So we were on the phone for a few hours and he told us to take out my wireless. Now my dads work but I cant get mine back working. Keeps giving this error. 'Aquiring network address' and then after about 2 minutes that disappears and a little baloon pops up saying "ths conncetion has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources". I have tried everything. I have tried completly re installing and putting the wires in every way possible. Something may be wrong with my router?
Also the router I am using is a Linksys wireless-b model befw11s4
please please help. I need to get work done.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Your TCP/IP stack may be corrupted; run the following commands.
Start > Run > Cmd > netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Start > Run > Cmd > netsh winsock reset catalog
If this didn't help, let me know and I will ask some questions so that we can isolate the cause.

GoingInsane

GoingInsane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I tried that and it didn't work.

Heres the simpelist way I can explain.

I start up the pc. Internets fine. I decide to set up router. Insert cd. As soon as I do the first step thats the problem.First step is *Unplug the cable coming from the modem thats connected to your pc's network port. As soon as I do that a bubble comes up saying a network cable has been unplugged.So I ignore it and continue following the steps unitll the end when it saves the changes. It says checking internet and from there on says it cant find it,but when i go to My netowork places it says LAN connected but says it has limited activites and that I can't get on the net.

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,
I am going to assume you have Windows XP.
Go to Start, Run, type cmd, press Enter
In the DOS window, type ipconfig press Enter
What are the values for
IP address
Subnet Mask
Gateway
If there is a value for Gateway:
Still in the DOS window, type ping
Enter the value for the Gateway press Enter.
If packets are passed (returned) then failure to get to the Internet is probably an issue with DNS
If the request is Timed Out and 100% of the packets are lost, you are not getting an IP address from your router.
Leave this window open to do the ping test once you have completed the steps below.
To ensure you are set up for DHCP(getting an IP address,Gateway and DNS from your router) Click the right mouse button on My Network Places, click on Properties, Right click on the enabled Network Connection, click on Properties.
In the Local Area Connection Properties window, locate Internet Protocol(TCP), highlight it, click the Properties button.
Make sure the Radio Button Obtain an IP address automatically is checked.
Do the same for DNS
click OK all the way out.
Let us know what your results are.
Mike

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Sometimes when I set up a router and follow the exact instructions, it doesn't work. Go figure, I have found that if everything is connected, and you shutdown the computer then go to the modem and unplug just the power for a few minutes like 3. Then plug the power back in and turn on the computer, alot of times that works for me.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

GoingInsane

GoingInsane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did everything mentioned above. I even payed a guy to come out and do everything you said miles. I even bought a new router no one knows. So my next step is I am going to by the computer where to modem is a new netcardd.And if that fails then I will contacts linksys. Ill post results when that has been done. Im buying the netcard tonight.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Let us know how it goes, good luck :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)