Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service pack 3 for XP

• Please log in to reply

TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have noticed that many of the experts on this site are using XP SP2. I've not been through a lot of forums yet but I don't see anyone with SP3. I'm having a problem rebooting after installation of SP3 but Systemax support has the registry tweak needed to allow installation. Not crazy about fooling with registry settings and having problem with erunt installation for registry backup. Is Sp3 really necessary? ( I searched the problem and found several other possible solutions but not anything relating to the necessity for SP3).

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SP3 fixes dozens, if not hundreds, of issues and security holes in XP.
There will come a point one day when to install anything from Microsoft you'd need it. Office 2007, for example, as is the case with other Microsoft products, now will not install on a computer that doesn't have SP2.

TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you Neil for your prompt response. I will now begin my my first journey into the the vast realm of registry debugging on a new machine just to add a #&*@^?% windows update. May the force be with me. (I'll build my own next time).

Edited by TheOptimist, 08 January 2009 - 08:07 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
1. Before you install any service pack, you have to make sure, your computer is totally free of any malware, and other kind of garbage.
2. IMHO, if you kept your Windows updates current, SP3 doesn't bring much more, than all those updates in one bunch.

TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply Broni.
The tweak I got from Systemax only involves one value in HKEY_LOCAL folder so I believe I'll go ahead with the process. (never know what suprises MS might have for us). However, erunt is not loading for me. Think I will nail down that problem first.
If you find someone else with an AMD based Systemax machine or maybe anyother AMD machine with
sp3 issues, you might direct them to the manufacturers support site. Systemax told me this was common.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
Thanks for posting back :)

ePost

ePost

• Pip
  • 8 posts
TheOptimist, experts do not run their machines on an outdated service pack. SP3 fixes a lot of security issues. Experts recommend that you install it. :) It adds speed to you PC also.

Edited by ePost, 11 January 2009 - 02:52 PM.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi Optimist,

I am your alter ego [man-made Pessimist!].

I have XP SP3 on my new PC. It came already installed by the tech guy who built it for me.
I couldn't tell you what the difference is between SP2 & 3. Nothing I've noticed in the last week anyway. :)

TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Haven't had the opportunity to retry yet but will post results on this thread if anyone is interested. Thanks to all.

Edited by TheOptimist, 15 January 2009 - 11:56 AM.