Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless network connectivity

• Please log in to reply

lukelach

lukelach

• Pip
  • 7 posts
First of all, I tried reading Faq's and previous posts. It was all way above my experience level. So, I will start out with what I know.
I have an upstairs computer connected to my wireless network. It did work, and then wouldn't connect to the internet for reasons beyond me. The icon tells me that I am connected to the network(very low signal). However, when I try to use it, I get a 404 error that says I am not connected. Does any of this make sense?
What I would like to know is what basic info do I need to provide in order to post a relatively intelligent question?

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Sometimes WiFi connections can get a bit corrupted or the DHCP addressing doesn't take. I've had clients with notebooks whose WiFi hardware has just plain disappeared from the device manager. Go to the control panel and open Network Connections. Right mouse click on the WiFi connection and then "Status" and then click on the "support" tab. Write back what it says there..

lukelach

lukelach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hiya's...ty so much. I am afraid I made an error listing my windows version. It is Windows XP.
In any event, I went to "network connections"
1. there was a red X through the "local area connection" (Intel® 82562V-2 10/100 network connection.
2. The wireless network connection 2 said "connected, firewalled compact wireless-G USB adapter #2.

lukelach

lukelach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I ran a wireless diagnostic. It seems to be contradictory. It says:
01. Wireless- service disabled
02. WinSock status
All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.

lukelach

lukelach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip[TCP/IP] passed the loopback communicaTION TEST.
" " MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] " " " "
" " RSVP UDP service provider passed " " " " " "
" " RSVP TCP " " ' " " " " "
Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service Providers.
Network adapter:
Network location detection
Using home Internet connection
Network adapter id:
Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Intel® 82562V-2 10/100 Network connection, Media type=LAN, SubMedia type=LAN
Network connection: Wireless Network Connection 2, Device=Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter #2, Media type=LAN, SubMedia type=WIRELESS.
Both Ethernet and wireless connections available, prompting user for selection.
Wireless connection selected.
Network connection status: Connected

lukelach

lukelach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity:
HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved.
HTTPS: Error 12007 " " " " " " " "
FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be reslvd.
HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server nameor address could not be resolved.
HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The name or address could not be resolved
FTP(Active): Error12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved.
Could not make an HTTP connection
Could not make an HTTPS connection.
Could not make and FTP connection

lukelach

lukelach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Is any of that related to this issue, or did I just waste a bunch of time typing in that diagnostic report?

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Sorry, been away from the computer for a bit. The red X on your local conn is normal, since the WiFi is your connection. It sounds like you are connecting but the signal strength may be a bit low. How far are you from the WiFi Antennae? What type of walls are between you and that point? When I asked you to check the support tab on the status window, it would have told you how the WiFi was addressed, (either DHCP or if it was manually configured).

Click on start, Accessories, and then Command prompt. Type IPCONFIG and then press enter. Write back what your IP address is and the Gateway address. Whatever the gateway address is, type Ping followed by a space and then that address. It will try to connect 4 times in this routine and give you stats afterwards. If you can get to the gateway, you should be able to get to the internet, but if it drops any of the packets, well, you may need an antennae boost.

WiFi is affected by all kinds of different things. Make sure the antennae connections are tight and check what the system says your signal strength is. I'm signing off now as it's getting late here, but if your WiFi did work for awhile and is still saying its connected, I'd look at the signal strength. If its less than 45%, you may not be able to get out, even if it says its connected.

Will check back when the sun rises. Good luck

lukelach

lukelach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't believe this. I don't believe this! Geeeeez Louise!
I did the command prompt thing you suggested...everything appeared normal: avg of 7ms round trip, sent 4 packets rec'd 4. I was still getting a very low signal. Just scratching my head......
Then i thought about what you said. Antenna connections must be tight. i checked them and they were, but last month I had added a 12 foot USB cord and put the antenna on the end of it thinking i could get it higher in the air for better reception. So, I decided to remove the USB extension cord and plug the antenna directly into the USB port. I immediately went from 11 Mbps to 58 Mbps.
Thank you Mark! ty ty ty!

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Glad to hear that you sorted it out. Your USB extension cable probably wasn't getting enough power to your antennae.