Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What operating system(s) do you use?

• Please log in to reply

QuizMaster

QuizMaster

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello everyone.

What operating system/s do you use and why do you use it?

I use Windows XP, I don't want to update to Vista yet because of software and hardware incompatibility.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

software and hardware incompatibility.

What software? What hardware?

I use a whole mix, as listed underneath my avatar. My favourite would be Vista.

QuizMaster

QuizMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

software and hardware incompatibility.

What software? What hardware?

I use a whole mix, as listed underneath my avatar. My favourite would be Vista.

Most of the software I use are designed for Windows XP. My hardware lacks Vista drivers.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Most software designed for Windows XP works perfectly fine in Vista. Similarly, there is not many pieces of hardware that won't work with Vista. Again, as Troy asked, do you have any specific examples? We'd be glad to figure out whether they would actually work with Vista.

To answer the original question, I have one computer with Vista Ultimate 64-bit and three computers with XP Pro. I use Vista because I can use beautiful DX10 graphics to render my games. I use the 64-bit version because I want to use all 4GB of my RAM, and to take advantage of faster 64-bit executables. I use XP Pro on the others because I can't afford three more copies of Vista. :) But if money was not an issue, I'd upgrade two of them in a heartbeat. (The third is too old to run Vista.)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
XP and Vista, but I work on machines 95-Vista

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Vista and Windows 7. Have had Vista since the first Beta and I like it. It is more stable than XP, not yet had a BSOD in two years, and I do put a lot of junk on here :)

Had 7 for three or four days now and if anything I like it better than Vista. Runs faster and smoother and it uses all the Vista drivers if I wish

Both Vista and 7 have a compatibility mode for software

QuizMaster

QuizMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Vista and Windows 7. Have had Vista since the first Beta and I like it. It is more stable than XP, not yet had a BSOD in two years, and I do put a lot of junk on here :)

Had 7 for three or four days now and if anything I like it better than Vista. Runs faster and smoother and it uses all the Vista drivers if I wish

Both Vista and 7 have a compatibility mode for software

Windows 7 is looking better by the second! :)

Dyamond

Dyamond

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have Windows ME on my old pc (and noone bash it, its been running stable for me all these years.. since 2001! :) ) Have Windows XP on my new desktop, Have Vista on the lappy.

I plan to try and run Win 7 in a VM.

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Have vista and windows7 beta

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Running Windows Vista x64 as my main OS

Downloading Windows 7 beta as we speak for a dual boot.

And after Windows 7, I'll put a flavor of Linux on, maybe Ubuntu if I want to just take it easy...

SlackWare if I'm in a mashochistic mood :)

Advertisements

kharizmatik

kharizmatik

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
XP here. But i would love to get a new pc, i hear Vista is nice. :)

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I use XP and Windows 7 Beta.

Used to use Vista Ultimate but got a bit sick of it so re installed XP, then downloaded Windows 7 Beta for dual boot.

Absolutely love win7 beta, a lot faster than vista. and also looks a lot nicer!

Shweeeet!

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Have been using XP Pro for years but recently got a hold of Windows Vista Business 64-bit (MSDNAA) and that's what I'm thinking of sticking with.
My main machine has the XP Pro and Vista 64-bit in dual-boot (Gotta keep XP Pro just in case something goes wrong).
I do have Windows 7 but haven't had time to install it, maybe on a VM as I'll probably want to just play with it and I don't have any hard drive laying around to install it to.
My HTPC has Windows XP Pro and my laptop has Kubuntu.

Edited by kamille316, 16 January 2009 - 11:12 AM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
My main machine dual boots Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 and Windows 7 x64 Beta. In my lab I use XP and one machine that runs Windows 3.1, it runs one of my instruments, has no network connection and runs just fine as is. Just funny and sometimes annoying to fine where stuff is in Win3.1

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I use windows vista on my laptop because it came with the laptop, if i didn't have everything set up and all my files and software on vista, then i would downgrade it to xp.
I use xp on my normal computer because it just works ok, and because ubuntu won't install because of some bad sector on my hard-drive