Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

best eomployee computer usage monitoring software

• Please log in to reply

dutcher

dutcher

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have 5 empoyees who have internet access but do not use the web for any business purposes. i am concerned that they spend a ot of time on the web accessing e-mail, e-bay, myspace, and other sites.
Which software do you recommend (free software that is available or inexpensive ones) to monitor their usage, then potentially block different sites?

basically, i am trying to improve productivity

thanks

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
im not sure about any software, but if they dont do any business on the internet, i say you should just take that privileges away

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I like charge06's idea... Make 'em work! :)

Or you could just block all the major ones. If they are all connected through a router, some have a whitelist or blacklist option where you can specify which sites are accessible.

My router has this option, although obviously I don't use it. :)

Troy

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I do this for a living in a school. Blocking sites on the internet is tricky business. If they have the time, they can usually find a way around blockages.

As far as watching usage, I strongly recommend you put a firewall in place with a good proxy. That way you can always know whats going in and out of your network. If you do not have a full-time tech on hand, I would recommend not doing the blocking with your firewall. Most firewalls can generally do it, but its more hassle than its worth.

Subscribe to OpenDNS and run all your traffic through it. It's a great service and takes the load off you.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Convert from PC to Typewriter, you can't fool around.

Seriously though I don't disagree with charge06....If you don't use it, you don't necessarily need it.....

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
hmmm...

...I don't guess I'll be referring my boss to this site... carry on... :)

Karloskar

Karloskar

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Setting up a good gateway would be the best way of doing it. Untangle is a powerful and open-source gateway: http://www.untangle.com/

Another way would be to push out modified hosts files to the machines redirecting the URLs of the things you want to block to your local webserver displaying a "This page is blocked - Get back to work" type message.

:)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Subscribe to OpenDNS and run all your traffic through it. It's a great service and takes the load off you.

I concur...this is the way to go...look at the screenshot for what you can block...down at the bottom is where you can allow any site you want them to be able to get to

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
openDNS is EXTREMELY handy for blocking things...not so great on reporting...but really good for blocking things....especially for the price (i.e. free)

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ever think of manning/womanning up and talking to them about their internet usage, rather than slapping some blockage on there behind their backs? I think rather than taking away the internet and expecting them not to be upset with you, you should go to them personally and tell them that you'd appreciate it if they'd spend less time surfing. This way, they'll respect you for being straight with them instead of being shady about it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Ever think of manning/womanning up and talking to them about their internet usage, rather than slapping some blockage on there behind their backs? I think rather than taking away the internet and expecting them not to be upset with you, you should go to them personally and tell them that you'd appreciate it if they'd spend less time surfing. This way, they'll respect you for being straight with them instead of being shady about it.

spoken like someone that feels "entitled"
OP said..

I have 5 employees who have internet access but do not use the web for any business purposes

if they want to surf and play they can do it on their own dime and time...
if they use P2P and start downloading music or video...the owner is responsible...he has every right to control their usage..
he could / should block all internet access to the internet because they do not need it for work ...
blocking them eliminates the chance of getting malware on his computers

Edited by happyrock, 20 February 2009 - 08:18 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

while i agree that to control internet usage you have to have (MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE) a well written and WELL COMMUNICATED internet usage policy that outlines what employees can and cannot do on the company network (search for "acceptable use policy template")....it's the right of the company owner and it's agents (i.e. people they've put in charge) to do anything they wish on the equipment they own and the services they pay for....

IF the company wants to put in filtering and monitoring software without telling the employees...that's their right...

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Since when does wanting to be treated as more than a cog in the business machine equal feeling entitled? I don't feel entitled, Only realistic. If these people have the internet, and then suddenly don't, they're going to be pissed. Better to talk to them like human beings and have them respond in kind than just to wordlessly shut it off.