Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you Erase Most of the Hardrive and keep some?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

The hard drive is full on one of the computers I have. It is a Gateway Essential 450. I would like to erase the hard drive, but my brother wants to keep one DJ program.

Is there a way to keep some info and erase others?

I have tried deleting some files and shortcuts and stuff but that only helped a little bit.

Is there a way to do this from my computer and not having to buy a program?

Thanks in advance,

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Hi,

The hard drive is full on one of the computers I have. It is a Gateway Essential 450. I would like to erase the hard drive, but my brother wants to keep one DJ program.

Is there a way to keep some info and erase others?

I have tried deleting some files and shortcuts and stuff but that only helped a little bit.

Is there a way to do this from my computer and not having to buy a program?

Thanks in advance,

In a nutshell unfortunately no, atleast not the way you want to do it. You can delete files and delete programs, but if the drive has an operating system on it. The program is tied to that OS. Therefore, if you want to fully erase the drive or even just remove the OS, then you will lose the installation.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Can you give me a to do list of where to go and what to do so I can delete as much as I can then? This is just to do until I accidently delete his program one day :) or it just isn't there anymore :) LOL

I would appreciate it. I know some places to go and stuff but I'm still learning.

Thanks a bunch,

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Can you give me a to do list of where to go and what to do so I can delete as much as I can then? This is just to do until I accidently delete his program one day :) or it just isn't there anymore :) LOL

I would appreciate it. I know some places to go and stuff but I'm still learning.

Thanks a bunch,

I think I need a better explanation as to what is going on. Is this hard drive the only one in the computer? If so then you need to be careful what you delete.

Delete using Add/Remove Programs, look for programs that you don't use. Keep ones like Adobe Flash, Sun Java (make sure it is uptodate which is Version 6 update 11), MS Office/WOrks (delete this ONLY if you don't ever use MS Works, Word, Excel etc. otherwise keep it even though it is a big program), Internet Explorer etc.

In XP Add/Remove programs is located here:
Start --> Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, the only reason I want to delete stuff is that I'm out of room. I think I have 1gb left. It's an old computer and I just got it going again. My brother yelled at me when he saw me on it warning me not to delete a dj program (he hasn't used this computer in years, but whatever).

I have some small hard drives less than 1gb that are wiped clean. I just want to get it to surf the net and do some word processing on.

Also, by wanting that I need a little more room...how much I don't know. Let me know and thanks!

Oh, another issue with this computer is that it has windows 98 and I can't find any programs that will work with it as far as a anti-virus goes. Spybot works, but AVG, Ad-Aware, McAfee, and Norton do not. I already tried.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Can anyone help me with this? I would appreciate. Should I buy a second hard drive instead of using one of the less than 1gb ones? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on this computer. I just want it to have a bit more room for light internet use and word processing.

Thanks,

Edited by JAR300, 10 January 2009 - 02:40 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I assume that what you are stating is that the main drive is full AND it has the OS on it.
Also that it has less than 1gb left.

Do you know the total size of the drive?
Do you have any other hard drives?

To clean up the drive and to give you more room, there are a few things.

1. Start uninstalling programs you do not want. or use.
2. Look at any data, music, pictures, etc and delete OR copy to CD or a slave drive (install a 2nd drive in the computer).
3. Clean out the internet cache and cookies.
4. Buy a bigger hard drive and clone an image of the old drive to the new. Thereby giving you a bigger main drive.

Now you can not "move" programs to another drive (such as a slave), but you can uninstall and then reinstall on the new drive.
Data, such as pictures, music, etc can be copied.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I agree with what 123Runner said. He told you what you needed to do to free up space.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 10 January 2009 - 08:50 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I assume that what you are stating is that the main drive is full AND it has the OS on it.
Also that it has less than 1gb left.

Do you know the total size of the drive?
Do you have any other hard drives?

To clean up the drive and to give you more room, there are a few things.

1. Start uninstalling programs you do not want. or use.
2. Look at any data, music, pictures, etc and delete OR copy to CD or a slave drive (install a 2nd drive in the computer).
3. Clean out the internet cache and cookies.
4. Buy a bigger hard drive and clone an image of the old drive to the new. Thereby giving you a bigger main drive.

Now you can not "move" programs to another drive (such as a slave), but you can uninstall and then reinstall on the new drive.
Data, such as pictures, music, etc can be copied.

I have done everything except Step 4. I do have other hard drives but the biggest one I have is only 1.2gigs. Like I said, this is just a back computer or a secondary for friends or family to surf If I'm using my laptop and the desktop is taken (family of 5). I also am getting into computer building so I find this interesting.

Is just another gig enough for some temporary internet files and maybe some word documents? This computer knows its place, no big time gigabyte hard drives in its future.

Can you give me a good link for installing a slave drive for this Gateway Essential 450?

Thanks guys,

Windows 95

Windows 95

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Oh, another issue with this computer is that it has windows 98 and I can't find any programs that will work with it as far as a anti-virus goes. Spybot works, but AVG, Ad-Aware, McAfee, and Norton do not. I already tried.

There is AVG 7.5 Free Edition. http://www.filehippo...antivirus/4029/ (Not the best if your CPU is less than 300mhz.

There is ClamWin. http://www.clamwin.com/

Then there is Avast. http://www.avast.com...ast_4_home.html

Those should work with what your looking for.

Edited by Windows 95, 10 January 2009 - 01:35 PM.