Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help connecting hard drive externally

• Please log in to reply

destinedshadow05

destinedshadow05

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So I'm trying to hook up my old hard drive so I can pull off some files from awhile ago onto my new computer. It's a 2.5 Hitachi drive, when searching my model number I came up with this, if its of any help http://www.hitachigs...ca8644eac4f0a0/
anyways, I also purchased http://www.xpcgear.com/usbdsc5.html and it just came in the mail today. I'm a bit confused on how to get this to work though. I've connected the hard drive into the usb adapter, and then plugged the USB into the computer. The light on the adapter blinks for awhile, and It takes an awfully long time to respond to anything, and when it does, it shows a new drive in "my computer" that is the hard drive im trying to connect to, so I assume I did that part right. Well when clicking on the newly found hard drive, it takes a long time once again to do anything, and finally says "F:\ is not accessable. the request cannot be performed because of an I/O device error".
Does that mean its a problem with my hard drive, or the way I tried setting it up with the usb adapter?
I was trying to figure out how to hook it up to the power adapter it came with also, thinking maybe that could be the problem and that I hadnt set it up all the way. But the package they sent me isnt identical to the one i ordered, because the one on their site has a slot on the side of the usb adapter to plug in the power supply, but this one does not. Instead i have a red cord thats not even shown on the package on the website, that plugs into the usb adapter, but does not plug into the power supply.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
[attachment=26227:newegg_Sabrent.jpg] You are probably missing the 2-wire, 5 volt power adapter. This brings in additional current that "may" be required for some 2.5" drives. Hitachi drives sometimes need more current than say, Seagate or Fujitsu drives, and you will need the extra power from the adapter. (Note: this photo came from Newegg USB-DSC5 Sabrent)

Does it say on the box or documentation that the 2-wire adapter cable is included. If so, I would contact the place you purchased from and tell them the cable is missing. Tell them the picture on their website doesn't match what you got in the mail and thats what you based your order on. See if they can send you a new one, or at least the cable. Everything should be at their expense since it doesn't match what's on their website.

In the meantime... I'm assuming you're trying to power up this adapter and using it with a laptop. If so, try using it with a desktop. However, be sure to connect the USB cable from the adapter to a rear USB port of the desktop computer. The rear ports are full power USB ports and may be able to spin up the drive without having the 2-wire adapter. You can then transfer your data to a USB flash drive, if you have one, or burn a CD, then transfer that to your laptop.

Edited by makai, 09 January 2009 - 05:21 AM.