Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mcafee issues

• Please log in to reply

adidasguy

adidasguy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just installed mcafee antivirus on two of my computers; my main desktop computer, which is connected to a cable modem, is working fine with no issues, however, when I try browsing with internet explorer or firefox with my wireless computer it will not display anything ;it just displays at the bottom of the screen, for example "looking up yahoo"; my security level is set to medium high by default on both computers and I have made sure that windows firewall is accepting the mcafee, internet explorer, and firefox programs. My wireless connection is actually showing that I have an excellent connection via my router, which is a linksys wireless G, but I'm just not able to open any webpages in IE or Firefox; can someone please give me some good suggestions? I have already contacted Mcafee and they suggested I uninstall all of my other spyware programs which I did; they also suggested I uninstall Mcafee last and reboot then reinstall Mcafee; I did all of that and still no luck; I know for a fact that the issue is Mcafee related because once I uninstall it I'm able to view the internet with internet explorer and firefox with no problems and everything works fine with AVG but I have already spent money on a subscription to Mcafee for a year so if someone could help me figure this out I would great appreciate it thanks!

Edited by adidasguy, 09 January 2009 - 06:12 PM.

Advertisements

adidasguy

adidasguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok I was able to finially get my issues resolved; I went to the Mcafee support section and apparently I had remnants of Mcafee files in my system where I had installed and uninstalled the antivirus several times; Mcafee has a tool that you can download that will remove all leftover Mcafee componants so whenever you reinstall the antivirus it will be a clean install; after doing that I was able to connect to IE and Firefox....another thing I recommend is that you install the Mcafee antivirus last ; I had uninstalled and was reinstalling firefox and mcafee and I had made a mistake and installed mcafee first and firefox last; its best to install the antivirus last; hope this information will help someone else if they should have the same problems I was having.