Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes at boot up

• Please log in to reply

fermier

fermier

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I hope that this is the correct place to ask for help.

My daughter's computer is 3 years old. It was working fine until yesterday. When I start it, all of the fans come on and the splash screen for the ASUS motherboard (P4P80S) comes up and stays there. Nothing happens. After about 5 minutes I get two beeps and the American Megatrends screen comes up with its entering SETUP screen. After displaying a bunch of info about auto-detecting Sec Master & Slave, it says that Overclocking failed! I didn't know that the system was overclocked. It then instructs me to Please enter Setup to re-configure your system.
Press F1 to run SETUP.
Press F2 to load default values and continue.

I pressed F2 and the screen went blank.

After a while (I didn't time it), the Windows XP setup screen came up and asked if I wanted to start XP, but it wouldn't respond to the keyboard. So I let it sit again.

After a while longer, the Windows splash screen flashed on the screen and then the screen went blank again.

Any help would be most appreciated.

The computer was built by ABS Computers
MB ASUS P4 P4P800S 848P INH5 RET
VGA ASUS/Radeon R9600SE/TD 128M 8X
CPU P4/3.0CGHz 800M 478P/512K HT RT
2 DDRAM 512MB PC-3200 GL5123200B-G
HD 160GB MAXTOR 6Y160M0 SATA

Advertisements