Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build - MOBO, CPU, RAM, and Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Briannola

Briannola

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I need an upgrade. I am going to buy a new MOBO and CPU (and Video card). What should I buy? I am not a gamer but I do some video editing with Pinnicale Studio. I normally buy AMD just below the top model but I have been out off the game for a long time now. Advice?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What is your intended budget for this build? Also, chances are your older video card will be sufficient for video editing, can you provide us with a model. Upgrading your PSU is highly recommend. And am I correct to assume that you wish to re-use your case, monitor, keyboard and mouse?
James

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I am currently using an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe with WinXP. I have a Visiontek X1550 AGP video card so I don't think I will be able to use it. I had a problem with my computer and I thought the problem was the CPU. The new CPU did not fix the problem. I have been planning to upgrade, so instead of spending the time to fix it, I thought I would just upgrade. I have three of these and one ASUS A7N8X - these are for the wife and kids, so I have a number of computers to use. I just can't do my video editing right now. As for budget, I really don't have one but I did not want to by the latest just to have it depreciate in a couple of months. I often buy more computer than I need and plan to do the same this time - just not the newest CPU on the market. Also, I normally buy AMD because of cost. Yes I will use the same monitor, keyboard, mouse and hard drive (SATA 500GB). I also use this as my media computer and access movies for it wirelessly to my TV. So what do you think?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I am currently using an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe with WinXP. I have a Visiontek X1550 AGP video card so I don't think I will be able to use it. I had a problem with my computer and I thought the problem was the CPU. The new CPU did not fix the problem. I have been planning to upgrade, so instead of spending the time to fix it, I thought I would just upgrade. I have three of these and one ASUS A7N8X - these are for the wife and kids, so I have a number of computers to use. I just can't do my video editing right now. As for budget, I really don't have one but I did not want to by the latest just to have it depreciate in a couple of months. I often buy more computer than I need and plan to do the same this time - just not the newest CPU on the market. Also, I normally buy AMD because of cost. Yes I will use the same monitor, keyboard, mouse and hard drive (SATA 500GB). I also use this as my media computer and access movies for it wirelessly to my TV. So what do you think?

Since you have your mind set on AMD I would suggest the new AMD Phenom II which the price is not bad at all for a quad core and you would be more future proof..

AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103472

Then pick out a good solid reputable brand mobo with a SB750 chipset.
http://www.newegg.co.......p;x=20&y=33
Do you have any extra DDR2 memory laying around that you can reuse? If not then buy some new ddr2 ram as it is insanely cheap now.

On the video card I suggest you getting more than you actually need because that is pretty much the most important part for me, Maybe not for a Video Editing pc but I always say a pc is only as fast as the weakest link so I suggest getting at least a MID level video card as it will help out more than you think especially if you are using a LARGE monitor at high Resolutions. I know you said you wont be gaming but don't skimp out and get a super Low end video card.

For $80 you can get a pretty nice video card in todays time if you wont be hardcore gaming.
I suggest this, it is all you need.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102792

Do you have an extra power supply laying around and if so what model and brand is it?

Edited by jrm20, 10 January 2009 - 02:25 PM.

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the quick response.

No DDR2 laying around, just DDR. Any suggestions on the DDR2 RAM? Do you think I need a quad core? No budget restrictions. I just like to know the difference between the dual core and quad core so that I make an informed decision. I will also upgrade the wife and kids computers soon so I would like to know if I want to purchase multiple sets or go to dual or single core for them. All they do is get on youtube.

I also plan to buy a network storage device so that we don't have data all over the place (some of the same data on multiple computers). I know this is not the forum for that but do you have any ideas?

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

No DDR2 laying around, just DDR. Any suggestions on the DDR2 RAM? Do you think I need a quad core? No budget restrictions. I just like to know the difference between the dual core and quad core so that I make an informed decision. I will also upgrade the wife and kids computers soon so I would like to know if I want to purchase multiple sets or go to dual or single core for them. All they do is get on youtube.

I also plan to buy a network storage device so that we don't have data all over the place (some of the same data on multiple computers). I know this is not the forum for that but do you have any ideas?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

In my honest opinion yes go for the newer Phenom II quad core (FOR YOU) as they are so cheap and you will be more future proof and will not have to upgrade as soon. A dual core would be fine for what you would be doing but for just a tad bit more you can go the Phenom II I would take that route as I have said. On the family's pc's they really do not need an upgrade IMO unless 1 of your kids likes to game A LOT with high FPS then a dual / quad amd would work for him/her with a newer video card. If all they do is just get on youtube no upgrade is needed really. If you INSIST on upgrading the family's pc's then a DUAL core amd would be a good upgrade but I first need to know what cpu's they have in all of their pc's.

Before we can go further everything depends on what Processors are in each of the computers currently even yours as you never stated what you had so it is worth the upgrade.

DDR2 ram - anything with the best price you can find really.

I recommend Gskill ram as they are usually cheaper than the Corsair etc but the performance is the same. I have used Gskill a LOT lately. Look at OCZ,Corsair,mushkin,kingston etc..

You could probably get by with 2gb of ram on the new system if all your gonna do is video editing etc but I recommend 4gb. You can get 4gb ddr2 for less than $40 now lol..

List the rest of the specs on all pc's before we go any further this includes each CPU.

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have the Asus P4C800 deluxe with Intel P4 socket 478 (two of these). And two Asus A7N8X deluxe with AMD athlon 2700. Video cards are all Visontek 1550. Each has 1gb of ddr ram, 19"monitors and various hard drives.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have the Asus P4C800 deluxe with Intel P4 socket 478 (two of these). And two Asus A7N8X deluxe with AMD athlon 2700. Video cards are all Visontek 1550. Each has 1gb of ddr ram, 19"monitors and various hard drives.

I see now. Well if you want to upgrade your pc and your family's that will be some bucks.

The cheapest upgrade path would be to get something along the lines of a dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1GHz then an am2 mobo and 2gb of ram.

Those cpu's run about $73 and 2 GB ram you can get super cheap for $20 or less and you can get a cheap mobo for about $80. If you want to upgrade all of those pc's then that would probably be the best for your family IMO while you will save a bundle.. Those cpu's are not by any means new technology but they are a couple generations ahead of your P4 Era cpu.. You and them will see a world of a difference alone with just that CPU/memory/mobo config. I suggest something like that for the Kids and wife but you will have to get them all new video cards also unless you get an Integrated video card mobo for them all. Integrated video cards are fine if they will not be playing any games at all.

As for you I would probably get a faster cpu but you could possibly get by with the same chip listed above since you are thinking about dishing out all that money for family + you. I just don't want you to spend more than you have to. You definitely need a better video card than an integrated for your video editing pc though.

There is a lot of choices for your build, if you wanted to go a step above, the Intel core 2 duos are dual cores as well and they are a better chip than the amd 64 x2's (I don't care who comes in the thread and disagrees) but also cost more and if you go that route you might as well spend just a hair more and get the amd phenom II quad..

Decisions, decisions LOL I don't want to say much more or amd fan boys will come in here. I will tell it like it is, Intel is the faster chip but yes it does cost more. Right now currently we have had new Processors come out prices are dropping or will drop again very soon since the latest release of the amd Phenom II so my opinion is biased as of today. With the new Intel core i7 and the new Amd Phenom II trying to compete with each other they will both drive down the prices of the core 2 duo's and most of the older chips for that matter. I would go Intel any day of the week but that is just my opinion.

Good Luck!

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks jrm20. I know I will spend a lot trying to upgrade theirs. I will probably do mine and the wife's. I might wait until one of the kids computer crap out before upgrading theirs.

Sometimes I like to get the wife what I have incase I have a problem...them I can steal hers LOL. "What do you me your compter crashed right after mine but mine some how repaired itself." LOL.

Thanks again.