Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spark on motherboard HELP!

• Please log in to reply

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok, I did something remarkably dim. I forgot that my laptop power supply was still plugged in and I was using a screwdriver in my laptop. Well as it happens, I slipped and hit the motherboard slightly and a SPARK appeared!! I plugged out my laptop immediately and it seems to boot ok.

But Im so worried I have created a problem that is not showing just yet!! Any advice guys?? :)

Thanks!

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok, I did something remarkably dim. I forgot that my laptop power supply was still plugged in and I was using a screwdriver in my laptop. Well as it happens, I slipped and hit the motherboard slightly and a SPARK appeared!! I plugged out my laptop immediately and it seems to boot ok.

But Im so worried I have created a problem that is not showing just yet!! Any advice guys?? :)

Thanks!

You might of possibly caused some damage I just say keep an eye on it if you really need to use the computer. How hard did you scratch the motherboard and did you hit any capacitors or anything? It might of just been from the metal of the screw driver touching different capacitors or different contacts as mobos have many different diodes, capacitors, chips etc..

Just keep an eye on it and do not leave it unattended today IMO but don't worry.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I didnt scratch the mobo, I just literally tapped it gently. So no physical damage as such. I didnt hit any transistors/capacitors, but I think i touched a square blob (capacitor?)

Its still running ok. I'm actually in process of reintalling windows on it actually. Ahhhh!!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I didnt scratch the mobo, I just literally tapped it gently. So no physical damage as such. I didnt hit any transistors/capacitors, but I think i touched a square blob (capacitor?)

Its still running ok. I'm actually in process of reintalling windows on it actually. Ahhhh!!

Should be fine but just keep an eye on it as we are not Liable if something was to happen.

:)