Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Home computer in a reboot do-loop

• Please log in to reply

Briannola

Briannola

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
My computer would not start. I suspected the power supply. When I replaced it, it get to the windows page and reboots. I try to boot in safe mode but it just continues in the reboot loop. It is WinXP home so I try the repair but it only goes to recovery console. Any idea of what I do from there. I ran chkdsk but came up with nothing. What can I do without reinstalling windows?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is the new power supply wattage equal to or greater than the one that was in there...
if so try this...

Turn on your computer and boot with the xp cd in the cd drive...
To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:

1. Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.

2. Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD....you may have to get into the bios and set it so the cd drive is the first boot device...

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears..... press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

Then you will have to press 1 to log into your windows installation and then just press Enter for the Administrator password if you haven't set one....or type in the password and press enter...

Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS type in

attrib -s -h -r c:\boot.ini press enter

del c:\boot.ini press enter

bootcfg /rebuild press enter

fixboot press enter

type in exit press enter

Edited by happyrock, 11 January 2009 - 08:45 AM.

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks. I wish I had seen this before I tried the repair. Now I am having problems installing and SP (failed during SP 2, removed SP2, did repair again now error installing SP3). Current error is "Setup cannot copy the file logonui.ex_".

Last time I tried to skip a file with the SP 2, the system rebooted and I had to reinstall Windows. BTW it is XP home.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
where are we on this...if you get SP2 installed...don't try SP 3...just get the 80 or so updates to SP2

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
After bootcfg, it directs me to enter load identifier. What is that? What should I enter? I never made it to fixboot.

Briannola

Briannola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
happyrock,

Ok. I found the identifier. I went through the entire proceedure you listed but it still just continiously reboots.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and follow the repair instructions EXACTLY...
YOU NEVER DID ANSWER MY FIRST QUESTION...when you replaced the power supply did you get one of equal wattage or greater than was in there to start with...
did you connect the 4 pin cpu auxiliary power connector...same for the auxiliary power connector for the video card if it had one..