Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing Operative System Language in Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

IaBi

IaBi

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hello,

I have just bought a new laptop yesterday, and as i live in Spain the laptop obviously came in Spanish. The was no disc that came with the laptop and i want to change the language of the system from Spanish to English
Can anyone help me please ??

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
If your device has English installed on it, then you can go to Control Panel and then Clock, Language, Region. Under this option there is a Change Display Language Option. Otherwise, go to the vendor where you purchased the computer and ask for a disc. All other ways involve piracy and we do not allow that here.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

you can go to Control Panel and then Clock, Language, Region. Under this option there is a Change Display Language Option

It won't work.
To change system language, you have to reinstall OS with English version of Windows.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Maybe this is only Vista Ultimate but I have 30 something optional language packs that I can d/l (all are around 2GB+ each). Where I can change the whole entire language.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Language packs don't change system language. You download language pack to use lettering from different language in application. That's it.
For instance: Ą,, Ł, Ž, and so on.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I hate to sort of call you out on this Broni, because I respect you and your knowledge greatly, but you are wrong (sort of). I have proof, though there is one MAJOR caveat, these options are ONLY available with Vista Ultimate (all of the other versions lack this option).

Here is my proof.

My normal language (english)
Posted Image

I d/l, installed espańol and then selected it from the location I mentioned previously. Guess what, the menus are now in spanish.

Posted Image

I sanitized the images I think hiding personal information (hence the gray boxes).

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hey, I'm not that easily offended, especially when I'm wrong....LOL
Now, I know, what you're talking about - Multilingual User Interface Pack.
Always learning something new.
Thanks Pedro :)

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Hahaha cool. I had wondered what MUI meant. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Where did you get those packs from? From what I've read, you can get them through OEM providers only, or am I wrong again...?...LOL

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
You are wrong again. :) If you have Vista Ultimate, they are optional downloads in windows update. There are 30-35 of them I want to say 33.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Now, I know everything....LOL