Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing motherboard

• Please log in to reply

KliCk

KliCk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there! I bought my computer a little over a year ago and this is my setup right now:

Mobo: Asus P5N32-E SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (3.0GHz, FSB1333, 4 MB L2)
RAM: OCZ DDR2-800 Gold 1024MB w/ Heatpipe Cooling
Power: SeaSonic 650W HE Power Supply
Video: Asus Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
Audio: Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATAII

I'm wanting to change my motherboard and possibly my CPU, but I'm not sure what to look for in a motherboard that would still be compatible with the other parts of my computer (video card and ram, for example). What should I look for, and what are some good choices to upgrade/change to?

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi KliCk, welcome to Geeks To Go!

Is there a particular reason for upgrading your motherboard and CPU? As far as I can see, there's no need for it. Are you encountering some problems with your current set-up? Can you list them for us.

Kamille

KliCk

KliCk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Kamille! Thank you. :)

In short: The reason I wanted a different motherboard, was because I can't seem to find the same exact motherboard very easily, for a good price.

But the main reason is because my computer stopped working. It was custom built a little over a year ago and it was working 100% fine up until now. I've made many efforts to fix my computer, but with no success. I've been in contact with the company that built my computer and so far they haven't been able to figure out how to fix it over e-mail. I've just become frustrated and decide to buy a new motherboard, because I think that is what is wrong with it.

Anyway... Here is what is wrong with it, if you can help me at all. One day, my computer started freezing. I don't know the reason, but every day it got worse and worse. Now, my computer will freeze at random places, sometimes before windows loads, and sometimes before or shortly after the computer posts. I had my memory replaced for free with a brand new pair, yet on some occasions I was able to run a memory test (memtest 84+) and it would freeze during the memory test, or say that all of the memory tests were bad. Same thing would happen with my HDD disconnected. I tried reinstalling my video and audio cards, with or without them actually in the computer, and it would still freeze. I also tried a couple other things that I can't remember off the top of my head. Its been several months now without my computer and I'm just getting tired and frustrated.

What is left? The motherboard, CPU, and Power supply? I don't know what to do now, and its tough when you hit a brick wall every time. Maybe someone here can help out... If you would like me to start a new thread somewhere else on the forums for this, then I would be more than happy to.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi KliCk,

I'm guessing you ran memtest on your older RAM and it gave you the same result? Did you try re-installing your OS? I just wonder why it would give you problems now if it has been working for a year. Were you able to check if your video card was overheating? Another thing, maybe its your power supply and its not giving enough power to your components or that it has given out (broken)? Did you ever get the chance to try a different power supply on your build?

Its very unlikely that you will need to replace your CPU so you should be able to re-use that on your new build.
If you want to test a power supply, I recommend getting something like this: Corsair 650W
For a motherboard compatible with your set-up, I'd get this: Asus P5Q-Pro

The motherboard I recommended above can only do Crossfire (2 ATI cards) so if you're thinking of doing SLI (2 Nvidia cards) then you would need a different motherboard which of course would cost a bit more than the above I suggested. If you're going to stick with a single card setup, then the ASUS board should be enough for your needs.

Kamille