Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't update to SP2 or SP3

• Please log in to reply

Sheevang

Sheevang

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I installed SP3 and it told me to restart when a black screen came up saying something like "Windows startup was unsuccessful" the options were Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), Start Windows Normally. I tried Start windows normally it just went through windows loading and came back to the same screen, I tried Last known good configuration, It did the same thing. I then went on safe mode and it showed me a list I think of all the drivers. It then took me to the startup screen where I chose my account not administrator. I then restored my computer to before as I had created a restore point just before installing. My computer is now back to normal but Rorschach112 told me I needed to update to SP3 or SP3 and Rorschach sent me here to fix the problem. Here is the link to the forum: http://forums.maddok...showtopic=16190

Computer Specification:

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/8/2009, 20:59:34
Machine name: HOME-SHEEVANG
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: DIM4500
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/10/02 09:15:12 Ver: 08.00.00
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.26GHz, ~2.3GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 317MB used, 2762MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10.0 (4.10.0000.5512)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

Thanks in Advance!

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Wow,

I never heard of a Dell not being able to update! :)

I'd try to repair XP 1st by repairing the existing XP installation down the XP install path after booting from a XP CD, (this would restore your existing XP to as it was before it went wherever its gone to prevent a SP2 or SP3 update). If it doesn't ask you to repair an existing XP install after pressing F8, STOP and back up everything 1st. Legal disclaimer, if u follow my advice, u R on yur OWN!!! Sorry, my legal team makes me put that in..

The Windows XP repair will not effect existing programs, but may ask you for the product key, (since it re-inits you to the Windows that shipped originally). Since its before SP2, it will demand to activate before starting, so don't be surprised..

Hope this helps...

PS: checked out the link but that helped U how????

Edited by Mark D, 12 January 2009 - 01:09 PM.

Sheevang

Sheevang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The link didn't help me, it was a reply from Rorschach112 sending me here. I appreciate your help think I will wait for some professional help as I have taken help from a normal member in the past and it messed up my PC, but thanks anyway.

Edited by Sheevang, 12 January 2009 - 01:31 PM.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
The only case I've had that refused to update has been one that reports the builds do not match, (apparently there was a build out there that MS put a bit of tracking info in??). A genuine Dell should not have a problem, (perhaps an AMD though I have seen an Intel processor that also experienced problems). Check all you installed internet "enhancements, (like Yahoo toolbar), and if they are around, un-install them. Disable all AV before starting the process...

Good luck

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The inability to update has nothing to do with the make of the computer.

By updating your XP-SP1 with SP-2 or Sp-3 you have more then a reasonable chance to end up with serious problems with your operating system. Luckily you were able to restore to a previous date.

My opinion is, and you will probably hear other's which will oppose mine, is not to do anything. I learned it the hard way having a number of failed updatings that ended with clear format. SP-2 and SP-3 are far bigger and complex then "normal" updates and meshing them into loaded, long running computers can easilly fail. I only install theses service packs (presently it is SP-3) on freshly formatted computers. Even then I install them from a disk which I burnt for this purpose, immediately after installing windows, before I install any drivers, antivirus or anything else. This never failed me.

If you still want to install SP-3, follow Microsoft's instructions, especially about disabling antivirus and any other antimalware program that run in the background.

Edited by The Skeptic, 12 January 2009 - 03:38 PM.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Actually down here we've had a few problems with certain makes vs others. When I said I was surprised that a Dell couldn't update, its because they are pretty tight with MS from what I've seen. AMD had lots of probs with SP3 and yes, Dell does offer some AMD based systems, (sorry). I also agree that updating with service packs can sometimes be a BAD thing, especially if you're using the system for business and need it to work normally each and every day. Of course letting your 13 year old grankid on your business system, (as happens down here quite a bit), has its own dire consequences...

Sheevang

Sheevang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, if you look at the link in my first post Rorschach has said it is vital for me to update to SP2 or SP3 so I am not sure if I should. This is the second time this has happened to me.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Sheevang,

Have you tried doing a windows repair before?
A link to how to do a windows repair can be found here:
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

After repairing Windows XP try installing SP2. (Don't install SP3 as it's an even bigger upgrade then SP2.)
I sort of agree with The Skeptic here though. Installing a Service Pack on a currently running PC can cause issues.
Though without SP2 there is no use removing the malware as you'll be wide open for infections :)

Regards,
Olrik

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Like I said, you will hear different opinions. You should weigh the benefits and the risks and make up your mind. My opinion, based on negative experience, is not to install the service packs. If it failed twice it may fail again. So far you were lucky to be able to restore, but that doesn't mean that it's going to work again.