Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Website management

• Please log in to reply

jlove912003

jlove912003

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've used Microsoft Frontpage to design and manage a website for the last few years. The computer that I used recently crashed and I got a Macbook Air. Now I find myself in a bit of a bind. I'm not sure how to manage the website from my Macbook. Is there any way that I can use iWeb to manage it? Or, because I don't have Frontpage on my Mac, do I have to start from scratch? It would probably take me about 50 hours of work to rebuild the website from scratch using iWeb, so I'm REALLY hoping that there is some alternative solution.

Thanks for your help!

-Jeff

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I haven't used Frontpage in years, and I've never used iWeb, even though I do have a Mac. What you might do is build one page with iWeb to your liking and compare it with the same page made in Frontpage. Then use the replace function in a plain text editor, i.e. not a rich text editor, to try to make the pages like the iWeb page. That will be a lot faster than editing them with iWeb. The replace function in Notepad and other plain text editors is a very powerful and fast tool which can be used to clean up and change the code on pages.

Actually I believe in doing pages the old fashioned way, using templates and copy and paste with a plain text editor, Notepad or Kwrite, then uploading the pages when completed via FTP. WYSIWYG editors obscure the page code and leave too much stuff on the page for my taste. Also, maintaining a copy of a website on a machine, both as a test of it's function and as a backup of the site in case it needs to be re-uploaded.