Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS3 External HDD Problem

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct place, but I have always found Geekstogo.com useful in finding out information.

I have recently bought an 80 gig ps3, and i wanted to play media on it. I have a 160 gig external hd that I put together with an enclosure with a Western Digital hard drive. I have read other places that you needed to format the hard drive to FAT32, so I did so with a program called HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. It was successful and I was able to put roughly 132 gig of videos that I have on it. I didn't make any sub folders, just put them on the hard drive. The hard drive detects on both my computer and the PS3. I'm able to open the media, but after roughly 20 min of the media playing (video) the video shuts down and the hard drive is no longer detected on the ps3. The hard drive is self powered (not by USB) and has an on off switch which when it stops being detected I switch it off then back on and it is detected again. I'm wondering what the problem could be. And if there are any tips/procedures that I could do that will make it work.

If there is no way of fixing this, I may try a program called TVersity which was recomended by a friend to stream it all from my computer, but I would much rather have the PS3 stand alone with an additional external HDD hooked up.

Thanks

Advertisements

coheedandclarke

coheedandclarke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have exactly the same problem. Were you able to find a solution? I am using an Australian 40gb ps3 and an ASTONE external hard drive enclosure with eSata. Not sure what the actual hard drive inside the enclosure is but still. Hopefully you have learnt something that can help us both. I have contacted PS3 support and they suggested that it might be the USB cable from the HDD or perhaps its the actual USB port on the playstation. Im currently just tryin the other port and hoping that works. Hope to hear from you.