Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

advice needed on damaged wd passport not responding

• Please log in to reply

data_lud

data_lud

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello All,
Thanks for reading this post.

I dropped my wd 120gb passport drive. Now, when connected via its usb connection the light comes on and drive whirrs but the drive does not register on my computer. Have tried on a few computers.

My query is that I would like to take it apart because I think the usb-sata connection has been damaged by the drop. So, assuming the drive itself is ok I can fairly easily (e.g. by a sata-usb cable) connect it to a computer and retrieve my important files, which is all i care about, not about taking apart the case (which can't be put back together as far as I know).

Would you advise someone who's never done this before to try it. The files are reasonably important. However, the data recovery company is quoting a high price and my feeling is that taking the sata disk out of the case is not going to fatally damage it so i can pay someone to get the data, even if I can't (e.g. if I can't get a cable).

Any advice gratefully accepted.
Thanks in anticipation.
Mike

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dropping it was probably not a good idea. :)
If you're referring to taking the caddy itself apart, as opposed to taking the hard drive inside it apart, then it's probably worth a try though it would invalidate any warranty which has been voided anyway by your dropping it in the first place. So yes you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You'll probably find it's a standard SATA hard drive that you can connect to a SATA port inside your computer.

data_lud

data_lud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yes, dropping it was unfortunate :)

Thanks for your comments Neil. Looks like my old laptop might be getting a new hard drive :)

pabitrak5

pabitrak5

• Pip
  • 1 posts
have it been fixed to your laptop
since i am facing the same problem

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Dropping it was probably not a good idea. :D
If you're referring to taking the caddy itself apart, as opposed to taking the hard drive inside it apart, then it's probably worth a try though it would invalidate any warranty which has been voided anyway by your dropping it in the first place. So yes you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You'll probably find it's a standard SATA hard drive that you can connect to a SATA port inside your computer.
[attachment=47846:DSC00173.JPG]

jrsc

jrsc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello -- i have the same exact problem and am wondering if your attempt to use the usb-sata connection worked ... fingers crossed! thanks!