Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think there is something wrong with my BIOS.

• Please log in to reply

itychi

itychi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi! recently, i purchased a copy of windows vista, and i installed it over my windows xp. i deleted my whole xp partition, and installed vista in this partition. however, i was unsatisfied with vista, and switched back to xp. however, once i installed xp, i noticed my computer was getting a bit slower. i tested a few games on it, and it indeed appeared to be slower. i went back to vista, hoping for better results, but i ran into the same wall. since then, i have been desperately switching back and forth, searching for a solution. my brother thinks my computer is slow now because my BIOS has been damaged, due to the repeated switching of OS. Can you please help me? Thank you very much :).

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is more likely caused because when you reinstalled XP you didn't install any of the drivers for the hardware - things like sound cards, graphics drivers, etc. In their default state with generic drivers performance isn't exactly pretty. The same is probably true of Vista - need to install drivers for the hardware. You can get them from the motherboard CD that came with the computer, or you can download them from the people who made the computer.

itychi

itychi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I forgot to mention that each time I reinstalled a OS, I used the "Drivers and Utilities" CD that came with my computer to reinstall the nVidia drivers, as well as the other drivers. Could it be that due to the repeated installation, the CD somehow wore out, and the driver files are damaged?