Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get stereo sound in headphones from certain sources

• Please log in to reply

pansenbaer

pansenbaer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello again,

So I don't know if this would be the right place to post this (or the right website for that matter) but hopefully someone might know enough. I recently set up my computer to record and play my guitar through the speakers using a Line 6 POD. The POD has a 1/4 inch left and right output so I bought a patch cable to attach it to a 2 female quarter inch to male eighth inch adapter and then plug into the line in on my sound card.

Have I lost you :)

Anyway. I had everything set up perfectly and my guitar was in stereo. I have a creative sound system that has a little volume adjuster that has the headphone jack on it. Now all of a sudden, I can't get my guitar in stereo anymore. I can get everything else in stereo (music, system sounds, etc.) and I know its stereo because some of my music has different parts written for the left and right channels and I can hear them in each ear. When I play the guitar, its just in one ear. The headphones have a switch that can go from Mono to Stereo and when I have it on Mono, it plays in both ears, but then my music only plays the left channel. I know its really confusing and some of the whole setup might not be computer related but I'm really lost. I went into options for the sound card but can't get anything. Thanks for any help. And if you can point me in a better direction/forum that would also be appreciated.

Nate

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I know this will sound stupid but have you double checked all of your connection. If one gets slightly pulled out, you will experience the sound in only one ear (I think for me it is the same channel but this could just be coincidence).

pansenbaer

pansenbaer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I know this will sound stupid but have you double checked all of your connection. If one gets slightly pulled out, you will experience the sound in only one ear (I think for me it is the same channel but this could just be coincidence).

Yeah I just double checked all connections and made sure they were tight. Any other ideas?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Hmmm, let me look around and see what I can come up with. I have a feeling this is hardware related, as in either your input on the sound card or one of the cables is bad. But in the meantime as I look around to see if I can find any clues, what operating system, what input card etc.?

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 12 January 2009 - 10:15 PM.

pansenbaer

pansenbaer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hmmm, let me look around and see what I can come up with. I have a feeling this is hardware related, as in either your input on the sound card or one of the cables is bad. But in the meantime as I look around to see if I can find any clues, what operating system, what input card etc.?

My Operating system is Vista 64 bit and sound is an integrated Realtek High Definition Audio. The driver is from just a couple months ago and we actually just got the computer less than a month ago.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Hmmm, that is odd. Have you tried any other stereo sources via your cable? Such as a home theater system etc.? I am just trying to eliminate possible sources of failure.

pansenbaer

pansenbaer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hmmm, that is odd. Have you tried any other stereo sources via your cable? Such as a home theater system etc.? I am just trying to eliminate possible sources of failure.

Do you mean like plug something else into the Line In port on the PC? I can try an ipod when I get home today if that's what you mean.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Yep.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 13 January 2009 - 04:48 PM.

pansenbaer

pansenbaer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well I am able to listen to my ipod in stereo through the line in port on the sound card.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
OK this means your computer IS NOT the problem.

Have you tried reversing the cable plugs? i.e. on the Pod, take the left wire plug it in to the right channel, take the right plug plug it into the left channel. See if it switches ears. If it does, it maybe one of the pod outputs is not outputting for some reason. If it stays in the left channel, then try switching the plugs at the 1/4-->1/8" adapter. If it STILL stays in the left channel, STILL then your problem is the adapter.

Just try changing one thign at a time until you can isolate the failed piece.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 13 January 2009 - 07:32 PM.