Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVidia GTX 280 SLI problems?

• Please log in to reply

Kyomi

Kyomi

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I believe I've been having problems with the SLI or maybe some inane setting I might of tweaked wrongly.
It started a few days ago when I started seeing red dots going diagonally down the screen from left to right,
followed shortly by freezing. I've turned off the SLI feature and everything is working fine at the time of writing.

Without the SLI I feel it's going to waste, the main problem is when I turn the SLI on everything seems to work fine.
I load up world of warcraft and it gets to the login screen but, either as soon as it gets there or after I've put in my info
the screen will freeze and vista will attempt to 'restart' it. Through all of this I can still hear music in the background from
winamp and most times still have mouse control for awhile. Only way to get out of it is to restart.

I'm thinking that WoW doesn't like SLI since it works fine with it disabled.. I've even enabled SLI and set a profile for only
Single GPU Performance in the Nvidia Control Panel. That worked one night and after I turned the pc off and then back on today,
same problem.

I've got a Viewsonic 28" HD monitor at 1900x1200 (yes, the same one with the stuck/dead pixels question :)).

Outside of this game, I've also ran Crysis at very high settings on all at 1900x1200 with 8xFSAA and it works fine in SLI.. at least I think
it's using the SLI.. is there anyway to tell? I'd rather not have to keep turning this on an off for just this one game :)

On a related note, I figured I'd try to get 3dMark Vantage and do their tests on the cards/pc to see if there was anything going on. It works
fine until the very last test and says it couldn't create the Physics environment, Do you have the correct version of the Physx drivers installed?
Which I believe I do since they already come bundled with the nVidia drivers for the gtx 280.

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

Kyomi

Kyomi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
A little update:

I thought I had fixed the flickering red dots for awhile but they always come back.. I've raised the fan speed on the cards and it seems to of
taken care of most problems; the freezing in WoW has been fixed.. I recently upgraded to the 185.20 forceware drivers and they seem alright.

I just can't seem to get rid of these flickering red dots that keep appearing after awhile. If anyone has any clues/ideas, please share :)