Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Windows XP will not install

• Please log in to reply

damionlldn

damionlldn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently got a virus on two computers even though I have norton antivirus corp 9 which updates everyday. I saved one computer but the main computer is in trouble.

When I try to reinstall windows XP SP2 at 39 minutes I get an error message stating "The signature for windows XP professional Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 426". I can't load windows anymore because setup keeps restarting. I have 6 hard drives so i loaded windows XP sp2 on one of them. I scanned the other hard drive and found no viruses. I also tried cloning the hard drive and then re running setup thinking it was a hard drive problem but i got the same exact error message.

This is what i have tried but failed :tazz:

Renamed the catroot2 folder to catold
Deleted the catroot2
Copied the catroot2 and catroot folder from another working windows XP sp2 partition.
Deleted and rebuilt the boot.ini file.
Tried to repair windows XP but i get the same error message
set the boot.ini switch to /MAXMEM=128

If anyone knows how to fix this problem please tell me

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you say "reinstall" do you mean from scratch? or are you reinstalling ontop of itself -- and are you starting the reinstall from within windows?

damionlldn

damionlldn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am trying to reinstall windows on top of the original windows xp sp2 installation. I am doing this from a bootable windows cd because I cant load windows. If i try to let windows boot up I get a light blue screen which states "setup is restarting......"

Redlazer

Redlazer

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
In my personal opinion, Norton is slowly getting useless. I have been using PC Cillin Internet Security for a while now, and it (along with some personal responsibily : ) has put a stop to any and all viruses that ever make an attempt to get on my machine.

Good luck with solving your problem : ) Wish i could help.

-Red

damionlldn

damionlldn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I had SAV 8.1 to 9 to 10 and it has kept me safe for four years so far. Symantec Antivirus costs about $200 and seems ok. BUT does anyone have a solution to my problem? I have been fixing computers for about 6 years now and I have never seen this problem before.

SA_Max71

SA_Max71

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I might have a solution for you, but do you have the following?:
  • A copy of windows that you own
  • Some way to reinstall windows
  • You can get around in MS DOS somewhat comfortably

damionlldn

damionlldn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip