Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DD-WRT Client Mode Setup troubles

• Please log in to reply

Chooseorbechosen

Chooseorbechosen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just yesterday I upgraded the firmware on a new Linksys WRT54G2 router to the DD-WRT firmware in order to set my router in client mode to pick up a wireless signal from the main Verizon router in my house for internet, being as my room is far away and running ethernet cables is basically impossible where I'm at.

The installation went fine, but I seem to be having problems configuring the routers IP address and setup. The verizon router has an IP of 192.168.1.1, and my linksys router was given an IP of 192.168.2.2, as instructed by the DD-WRT wiki, with a gateway of the same IP (192.168.2.2). I'm pretty new to networking, but I've got some basic concepts down. However, I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, as I can't ping the Verizon router from the computer behind the Linksys router.

If anybody has ever had a problem like this, or knows where I could find a solution, the help would be great. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Chooseorbechosen and welcome to GTG.

The verizon router has an IP of 192.168.1.1, and my linksys router was given an IP of 192.168.2.2, as instructed by the DD-WRT wiki, with a gateway of the same IP (192.168.2.2).

I've never actually had to setup a two-router network, but from my understanding, I believe the second (Linksys) router should be acting as a client to the Verizon router, and should therefore have an IP within the same range as the Verizon (i.e. 192.168.1.x). DHCP should be disabled on the Linksys router, and enabled on the Verizon router (unless you setup static IP's for everything). Your PC should then connect to the Linksys router, but be assigned an IP address from the Verizon router (assuming you have set the Linksys router to Client mode) -- this would mean your PC would receive an IP in the same range as the Verizon's IP pool. With such a setup, your Linksys router would be acting like a switch.

But, like I said -- I've never done anything like this, so I could be completely off the mark, but those are my 2 cents, since that's what makes sense to me, logically.

- Dan

Chooseorbechosen

Chooseorbechosen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply Dan. I'm going to try the setup you described, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the help.

-Ryan

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Any updates to a solution to this thread? Got it tagged for some reason. :)

Cincinnatikid

Cincinnatikid

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I have a similar problem. I have installed the DD-WRT firmware on my wrt54gs v2 router. I can reach the main gui through firefox but when I select client mode in the wireless basic settings and enter all the info as described in the client mode wiki on dd-wrt.com I click save and all then click apply and it never finishes, the WLAN light on the router blinks at steady 1 second intervals and nothing happens. So I just hold in the reset button for 30 sec and I am back to where I started.

I have also installed the VINTAGE version 24 STD

Any Ideas???

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Cincinnatikid -- welcome to G2G :)

It is possible that the firmware may simply be faulty, in which case you will need to contact the developers.

However, what settings do you enter on the following (i.e. what IP's, subnet mask, etc):
- main router
- secondary router

Also, how do you have the two devices connected? What is the make and model of your main/primary router?

When you're logging into your routers web interface, are you connected to it with an Ethernet cable, or via Wireless?

Thanks,
- Dan

Cincinnatikid

Cincinnatikid

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi thanks....

Main router is the exact same router i have as the client router a Linksys wrt54gs v2 and the local ip is 192.168.1.1 and 255.255.255.0 subnet

As for the client router I am attempting to acquire exactly the inputs read here

As for connection i am running a laptop (xp) that is cat5 plugged into the 1st port on the client router

There is Desktop in another room to which I have connected the same linksys router but it is stock firmware and it is providing wireless through out the house but is connected through cat5 to the desktop

I'm thinking it might be the firmware and I may have to reinstall another version possibly not the vintage version as there is another tutorial with different firmware. BUT I am also wondering how to go about uploading new firmware as well to the client router.

Thanks!!! :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Are you attempting to connect the two routers via wireless, or a wired connection? If wired, what are you hoping to achieve? If wireless, then you should be following the Wireless Bridging instructions (that exact version may not apply to your setup, but there should be a version for you).

As to uploading a different version, I'm not too sure; I'd assume that it would be similar to how you uploaded/flashed the first version?

Perhaps if you could explain exactly what you're trying to achieve with this setup, I could be of more assistance :)

- Dan

Cincinnatikid

Cincinnatikid

• Pip
  • 3 posts
OK....

So I am trying to use the wrt54gs as a client so I can hook up an xbox to it and use it basically as a wireless adapter. I read that it could be done so i am attempting instead of paying $100 for the Microsoft version. I had a router laying around and went for it but have run into some problems.

I believe wireless bridging may work but if you have any other ideas let me know!!

-Kid

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Yes, what you're describing is definitely possible. A quick glance through the Wireless Bridging guide suggests to me that it is more suited to your needs than the other guide.

The hardest part with DD-WRT setups is knowing what firmware to use. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with DD-WRT firmware, so I can't provide too much assistance. Have a look at this article here and see if it is of any help to you.