Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service to get Zune working

• Please log in to reply

gamelord12

gamelord12

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
My sister got a Zune recently, and I've been trying to get it working on the family computer running 32-bit Vista Home Premium. We had a virus on that family computer some months ago, and I think that's what led to our Zune problems. When we plugged it in, Windows detected the Zune but said that it had problems installing the drivers because a service was missing or turned off. At the advise of another board, they said to go through my services listed in services.msc and change them to automatic until it works. Well, after turning about 10 different ones from Manual to Automatic, the Zune installed just fine. Then Windows Update detected that it needed to install some updates.

The Zune software detected the Zune but then froze, so I force quit the program and booted it back up. It detected it again but said it couldn't sync with the Zune because it was being used by another program (my guess is that it was being used by the Zune process that froze that I force quit). I let Windows Update install updates and restart. When it came back on, the Zune no longer was listed in the device manager. It comes up as an unknown USB device. This is where I am now.

How can I fix this? I feel like it's gotta be fixable by doing something in services.msc. Does anyone know how to remedy this problem? My sister really wants this thing to work.

Advertisements