Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm thinking of building another pc

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
This attachment shows the switches that I plugged into the mobo. I double-checked them and they're connected to the correct pins.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
This attachment shows the led lights that should have lit up when I powered up the system but they didn't light up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4._Phase_Led___CPU_c.jpg

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
In post #146, I said

Another red led lit up but quickly turned off so I couldn't catch the name of it.

I just turned the pc on again. The lights that blinked on and then quickly off are MD2 and MD2. No mention of these leds are anywhere else mentioned in the mobo's manual.

Attached Thumbnails

• MD1__MD2_c.jpg

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I just checked all the connections from the psu to the fans. I connected the 3-pin fan connectors to adapter that have a 3-pin connector on one end and a molex connector on the other end. I then connected the molex connector to psu molex connectors.

I reseated the RAM, the SATA 8-port controller card and the video card.

I unplugged the front panel led connectors and plugged them in again. The instructions state to make sure that the + and - are in the right way. There's no + or - on the connectors so I turned them upside down and plugged them in but it made no difference.

I installed the video card into the PCIEX16 port and the SATA 8-port controller card in the PCIEX4_2 port on the motherboard. There's an odd-looking clip at the end of the PCIEX16 port but it can't clamp onto anything because the video card extends half-way to the end of the clip.

Also, there's a "Clear CMOS" button on the motherboard and a 2-pin "CLR_CMOS" port near the Front Panel ports. There's no jumper on the 2-pin "CLR_CMOS" port. Does it need one?

Could the problem be that the fans shouldn't be connected to the psu using the molex adapters or that I have the video card or the adapter card in the wrong ports?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay, first of all, let's just try to get a POST. Disconnect everything else but the things I mentioned in post #144, and see if you can get something on the screen.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
VERY GOOD NEWS!

I removed everything except for the items you mentioned and the computer posted. I then reinstalled/reconnected the items that I removed and it posted again! So it looks like it's going to be ok.      :)       :)

Thanks for all your help, Troy. You were great!       :)       :)

And James :) and Pedro :), thank you too. You've all been terrific.

I still might have a question or two but I think that'll be it.

Edited by Denisejm, 19 February 2009 - 07:53 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
It's after 4:30 am here and the time my brain goes into work mode. . . . I'm a die-hard nightowl.

I'll ask the hardest question first in case it's the way to proceed. After this, it should all be downhill.

I have a new Drive C, unformatted. I also have all my other SATA drives, some new and unformatted and some with files on them.

THE Question:  Can I install all of my other drives when I install Drive C, then go through post and BIOS setup or do I need to first install only Drive C and then add the remainder of the drives later?

The reason I'm asking is because the mobo manual mentions that if I install only 1 drive (Drive C), I have to use either the "GS0-Source or GS2-Source connector, or the system may not read it correctly," and then I have to turn on Smart Backup in BIOS, which I don't want.

This is what the mobo manual says about it:

Storage Interface
�� South Bridge:
   - 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors(SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices  (These are the connectors that I'll use to connect individual drives, np.)
   - Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5 and RAID 10 (I know that I won't be setting up a RAID Array by using these connectors.)

�� GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
   * 2 x SiI5723 chips (Smart Backup):
      - 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GS0-Source, GS1, GS2-Source, GS3) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices(Note 4 below)  (These are the ones that I'm unsure how to use.)
      - Support for Smart Backup (RAID 1) (Note 5 below)

Note 4) A SiI5723 chip supports two SATA 3Gb/s connectors, so the four SATA 3Gb/s connectors are divided into two pairs: GS0-Source and GS1 as a pair and GS2-Source and GS3 as a pair.
When installing SATA hard drive(s) to the connector(s), be sure to enter BIOS Setup to enable the Smart Backup function. If only one SATA hard drive is to be installed, please connect it to the GS0-Source or GS2-Source connector, or the system may not read it correctly. If the SATA hard drive to be installed already contains data, be sure to connect it to the GS0-Source or GS2-Source connector, or the data will be lost. After connecting the hard drive, be sure to enter BIOS Setup to set Smart Backup Initial to Enabled. (Refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," "Integrated Peripherals," for more information.)

Note 5) The Smart Backup function can back up the data on the first hard drive to the second hard drive. The second hard drive must have equal or larger capacity than the first hard drive, i.e. hard drive connected to the GS1 connector must have equal or larger capacity than that connected to the GS0-Source connector; hard drive connected to the GS3 connector must have equal or larger capacity than that connected to the GS2-Source connector. (Refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," "Integrated Peripherals," for how to enable the Smart Backup function.)

9) GS0-Source/GS1/GS2-Source/GS3 (SATA 3Gb/s Connectors, Controlled by GIGABYTE SATA2/SiI5723, Purple)
The SATA connectors conform to SATA 3Gb/s standard and are compatible with SATA 1.5Gb/s standard. Each SATA connector supports a single SATA device. The GIGABYTE SATA2/SiI5723 controllers support Smart Backup Function .

Edited by Denisejm, 20 February 2009 - 03:55 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Plug your new OS (C:) hard drive into the SATA2_0 connector and install Windows, after everything's running good and you've set it up, then switch off and add all the other hard drives later.

I find it saves some hassle sometimes down the track.

To make it simple for you:

• One drive - install Windows
  • Add other drives and parts later.

Troy

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Troy . . .

This is good   :)

Plug your new OS (C:) hard drive into the SATA2_0 connector and install Windows, after everything's running good and you've set it up, then switch off and add all the other hard drives later.

This is funny!  :)

To make it simple for you:

One drive - install Windows
Add other drives and parts later.

Pics in about a week.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Hahaha, Denise, you laugh but I have done an install before with 2 HDs in a computer and for some weird reason the computer decided the slave was C: and the main drive was E: (the cd-rom was D:). SO windows ended up installed on E: and I had to remove the slave drive and reinstall to get my master to install as C:.

Weird stuff like this happens, this is why he advises you to install with only one drive in the computer.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
You misunderstood Pedro. . .  I got a kick out of the extreme simplicity in which he outlined the steps the second time.  I understand the seriousness of installing 1 drive and Windows, and setting things up before I connect anything else.  It's the reason I asked for help.  I'll follow what he said.  I don't ask for advice and then ignore it . . .   that would make me a doomkoff    :)

EDIT:   I received a message from Corsair.  They told me to shave off the small plastic part on the connector and that my warranty wouldn't be void if I did it in order to fit the power supply connector into the mobo port.  The approval came a little late because I plugged it in without shaving it off already.

Edited by Denisejm, 21 February 2009 - 09:16 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Pics in a week? :) I can't wait that long.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Ok, I'll take some pics when I install Drive C drive today, turn it on, and install Windows.  It'll still be on the kitchen counter though.  I'll take the next pics when I have all the SATA drives installed.  I have to buy 3 more, which I'll be doing soon.  There's not much that I have to do in BIOS . . .  I just want to set the time and there's an option to have the drives spin up x number of seconds apart instead of them spinning up all at once.  I think that's a good idea.  I haven't gotten the fdd back from NewEgg yet.  It took about 2 weeks for them to receive it and I used the UPS label that they emailed me, so I'll have to go back into BIOS to set the fdd as first in the boot order sequence when I get it and install it.  I also had to RMA the DVD bezel.  It uses thin plastic pins as hinges for the door and one broke in half when I tried to install it.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I just installed Drive C, plugging the cable into the port. I turned on the pc, went into BIOS and changed the boot sequence to first in boot sequence = DVD drive. I placed the Windows disk in the drive, shut the pc off, turned it on again, but I received a message "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter." I pressed enter but got the same message. I tried putting the mobo disk in but I got the same message. I know I plugged the cable into the SATA 2_0 port because I checked the schematic and its name is on the mobo.

The cpu leds lit up and everything seemed ok. I don't know what the pc is looking for.

Attached Thumbnails

• hdd_connected_c.jpg
  • GIGABYTE_splash_scren_c.jpg
  • DISK_BOOT_FAILURE_message_c.jpg

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
When I built my present SATA pc, I remember reading that it had to have a fdd. Does it still require a fdd? If so, that might be the problem because I don't have one installed.

Also, the DVD drive makes a grinding/groaning noise. Could it be broken so that it can't read the Windows disk?

Just for the heck of it, I plugged the cable into the GS0-Source connector on the mobo because the mobo manual says "If only one SATA hard drive is to be installed, please connect it to the GS0-Source or GS2-Source connector, or the system may not read it correctly." That didn't help either. I still get the Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" message.