Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm thinking of building another pc

• Please log in to reply

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Denise, You will not need this: "D&S Cable 8" 4pin Internal Power Connector to 2 SATA Power Adaptor Cable (Model 2SAC-02498) - Retail" [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812608228""]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...812608228"[/url] as the daisy chain connectors I mentioned take the place of that. Unless, you decide to put MORE drives in the case than mentioned.

EDIT: Grammar wins again.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 26 January 2009 - 05:30 PM.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
wikipedia is where I went to find out what a PCI interface was and it might as well have been written in Japanese "The PCI Local Bus (usually shortened to PCI), or Conventional PCI, is a computer bus for attaching hardware devices in a computer. These devices can take either the form of an integrated circuit fitted onto the motherboard itself, called a planar device in the PCI specification or an expansion card that fits into a socket"

But your explanation makes practical sense, which is understandable, not theoretical like wikipedia's. So I understand that I need PCIe.

I'm pretty sure that the ones that are connected via a USB 2.0 connection are IDE, but I'll open them tomorrow to make sure.

If this is the case, additional expansion cards will be required and a few will likely have to remain as external devices.

Three of my IDE drives are small (250G to 350G). I'll be moving the files that're on them onto a 750Gb SATA drive that I just bought. I also bought a 1T hdd for my C drive that I'll be partitioning and some files can go on it too. I've been thinking about it and decided to buy two more 1T drives before the build is finished so that all 12 bays will have a SATA drive in them and my files won't be cramped in the drives that I now have. The few IDE drives that I'll have left over can remain as ext hdds for my backup files. When 2T drives have been around for awhile and the kinks are worked out of them, I'll buy a few of them to replace the 500G to 750G drives that I have (in a year or so). And then there's the converter that I can buy if it becomes available again. So instead of taking the externals apart to see what types of drives are in them, lets forget about them and plan on connecting 12 SATA drives during the build. I'll also have a floppy drive and my DVD drive.

If you let me know how many HighPoint cards I need to buy and the exact url for the data cables, I'll order them tomorrow. I'll also re-order the mushkin RAM and order the video card.

I think that's all I need to buy unless I still need to order the "D&S Cable 8" 4pin Internal Power Connector to 2 SATA Power Adaptor Cable." If there's anything else, let me know and I'll put the order in when everything is finalized.

Thanks again for your help :)

Edited by Denisejm, 26 January 2009 - 09:15 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Pedro . . . Our posts crossed each other again. :)

You will not need this: "D&S Cable 8" 4pin Internal Power Connector to 2 SATA Power Adaptor Cable

That's great . . . one less part I'll have to think about and can cross off my list. It's coming down to the wire and I'm chomping at the bit to get started.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I checked my list and I only have 2 more items to buy:

• HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 PCI Express SATA II Controller Card (how many?)
  • Data cables (what kind and how many?)

It's getting there :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

wikipedia is where I went to find out what a PCI interface was and it might as well have been written in Japanese "The PCI Local Bus (usually shortened to PCI), or Conventional PCI, is a computer bus for attaching hardware devices in a computer. These devices can take either the form of an integrated circuit fitted onto the motherboard itself, called a planar device in the PCI specification or an expansion card that fits into a socket"

But your explanation makes practical sense, which is understandable, not theoretical like wikipedia's. So I understand that I need PCIe.

Yeah, sorry about that. :)

* HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 PCI Express SATA II Controller Card (how many?)
* Data cables (what kind and how many?)

The SATA cables actually come with the expansion cards, so you don't need any SATA cables. You also have the option to purchase a 8 port card that'll take 8 drives alone, instead of using two 4 port cards. The 8 port card will cost more, but I think you'd like it given that it has the option of setting up a JBOD array, should you go that route in the future. Additionally, it'll keep a PCIe slot open. Aside from that, there isn't any more benefits. I'll let you decide on what you want to do here. Two four port cards would cost you 240$, the eight port card will set you back 260$. Again, I want to make this very clear, if you ever plan on making a RAID array, don't trust you're data with these cards. For expansion cards, these will do just fine.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816115026
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816115029

Before buying anything, can you make a full list of what you plan on buying and what you already have. I just want to ensure we are all on the same page here.
James

Edited by james_8970, 27 January 2009 - 02:14 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
The 8-port card sounds good . . . it'll free up a port for something else that I might want to add in the future. I'll never set up JBOD or RAID.

So far, I bought:

• CASE - LIAN-LI PC-201A
  • CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield
  • HARD DRIVE - WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB
  • MONITOR - Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP
  • MOTHERBOARD - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6
  • POWER CABLES - 24inch 4-pin MOLEX Male to (4) 15-pin SATA II Female (3 of them)
  • PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
  • RAM - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop
So all I'll have to buy is the 8 port SATA card, I think, unless you know of something else.

Edited by Denisejm, 27 January 2009 - 04:44 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
After all that... just the one hard drive? :)

I remember you mentioning a DVD Burner and a Floppy drive, but they aren't in the list above. Also, a video card?

Troy

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Ah, YES . . . a video card! How could I forget?!? Thanks Troy :)

I have another new 750G drive but the 1T will be my main drive, partitioned. I'll also be buying a couple more 1T drives so that all the bays are filled and I'll move my files from my USB drives onto them.

I have a DVD drive, but you're right, I need a floppy drive.

The case came with a bevel for the floppy drive. I bought one for the floppy drive and the DVD drive, to match the case, so I can return the floppy drive bevel, but those are inconsequential so I didn't mention them in my list.

James . . .

The SATA cables actually come with the expansion cards, so you don't need any SATA cables.

The case didn't come with any SATA cables, the drives were OEM and the other SATA dives will be taken from external enclosures. The expansion card will have 8 cables for 8 drives, but I'll have 12 drives. I'll have to buy 4 more cables.

So, I need to buy:

• Video card
  • Floppy drive
  • 8 SATA port card
  • 4 Data cables

Also, can I buy the same video card that you recommended for the ASUS mobo or does the Gigabyte need a different one?

Edited by Denisejm, 27 January 2009 - 06:16 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Don't forget the motherboard usually comes with SATA cables also...

According to the pictures from Newegg (which may or may not be trustworthy), you'll get:

4x SATA data cables
1x IDE data cable
1x Floppy data cable
2x eSATA brackets (with external power and SATA cables)
1x PCI Bracket (looks like Firewire)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128343

Troy

EDIT: The same video card will be fine in either the ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard!

Edited by Troy, 27 January 2009 - 06:27 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
It looks like I'm all set for cables then. Good news!

So it's down to the video card, a floppy drive and the 8-port SATA card. I'll be ordering them tomorrow. :)

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I just thought you'd like to know that everything's been ordered and the total came to $1814.00, including s/h and rebates but not including the monitor or the 2 additional hard drives that I'll be buying. So I think that I'm going to get one TERRIFIC computer for that tidy mid-sized sum. I'm very happy! :)

Thank you all for your help. I really couldn't have done it without you. :)

I'll be posting pictures as the build progresses but I'll have to start a new thread because I hit my limit on the max of Mb of attachments allowed per thread.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds good, we love being kept updated with pictures. :)

If you like, you can upload your images to a photo sharing site (such as Photobucket), and then link to them from here.

Troy

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Guys,

I just started putting the pc together today. I got a few things done but I'm wondering what the method is to mark the holes for the lifters. The plate behind the mobo stays loose and when I try to get a lifter in, the plate and the mobo move. Is there a trick to it, an easy way?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I temporarily taped the plate to the back of the case so it wouldn't move and then marked the specific holes with a marker so I'd know which hole on the case I needed to insert a lifter. Necessity is the mother of invention :)

Here's the first picture. I installed the motherboard, cpu heatsink/fan, RAM, psu, and I connected the leds. Not bad for 2 days work, lmao!

Edited by Denisejm, 05 February 2009 - 05:10 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm not sure what plate you're talking about that stays loose. Does this case have a removable motherboard tray? It should be fixed and not move at all. I would make sure this fixes into place as a priority. You may find some information on it in the manual.

I have to admit, once the motherboard is in, you can really see how huge that case is! That is one big mother!

Nice work, on the kitchen bench and all! :)