Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to replace CPU Fan and Which to Buy?

• Please log in to reply

shingo

shingo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

This is probably a noob question but I wanted to post something and get an aswer before I a) spend my money and b) possibly wreck my cpu or computer in anyway.

I have a nVidea 8600gt I wish to put in but the case of the fan protudes out too far and is stopped by a centimeter or two by the fan that covers the cpu.

So I have looked at replacing the fan case on the gfx card to make it smaller and a Zalman fan was suggested (can't remember the model atm) but to be honest it was rather expensive, more than I really wanted to pay if I had to as I have only bought this gfx card as it was cheap in the first place.

So after this I looked again at what could be done, I am now wondering if there is anyway I could replace the cpu fan an create some extra space as currently this huge hub thing eats a lot out of my internal space. I have the Dell Dimension E520 case seen here (http://www.creativei...20-repair-1.jpg) and don't know what to do about the front fan thing and the cone which guides it over the cpu, if I were to replace it with one which just sits on the cpu would this still be suffuicient?

My cpu is an Intel Core 2 cpu 6300 @ 1.86 GHz, so are there catagories of cpu fan which I need to be aware of so that it wont overheat at all? I am not a hardcore gamer or anything so it may sound a silly question with this tame cpu but I just don't want to be left with nothing for the sake of trying to fit this gfx card.

I am basically looking for something that is cheap and does the job well.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Forgive me but are you referring to the right fan?
The fans on the graphics card are usually on the other side of the card to the CPU fan. In a typical set up the graphics fan is underneath the card.

The green "cone" thing that exists in pretty all Dell machines before I've had my mitts on them can be discarded. The processor will have a fan on it already.

shingo

shingo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, Thanks for your response.

I have just double checked to make absolutley sure, but yes the fan on this card sticks out towards the cpu sideof the motherboard.

I don't wish to undermine or disregard your advice about the fan cone tunnle thing but on mine it appears to be cradelling a large metal cuboid structure covering the cpu so without this it seems that that would have to go as well I assume this is the heat sink? Also I have found that removing the cone part wouldn't work if I was to keep the metal thing there unfortunately as the base parts which are screwed down to accept the cone thing to the mother board would still be there and the corners are part of what is stopping the card.

Thanks again though.

Edited by shingo, 16 January 2009 - 07:20 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi, I'm interested in this topic so far, but haven't had any experience with the particular Dell model you have.

The picture you linked is very small resolution, and I can't make it out very well.

Would you mind posting some larger pictures (take them yourself and upload them, perhaps?) and fully explaining each picture, and what you're trying to achieve?

Cheers

Troy

shingo

shingo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have managed to sort it afterall without having to buy anything. It was kind of obvious in the edn but for some reason I just didn't think to do this.

Here at the base of the fan cover you can see a plastic strip which is screwed into the motherboard and acts as a cradle for the heat sink section.

Posted Image

and here is the cradle action

Posted Image

But this extends the area which the screws take up and is what was conflicting with the graphics card:

Posted Image

so by renoving this part which seemed to serve no purpose apart from being able to tilt the cover of the fan back, allowed eveything to fit in...just.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Have you tried running this, with a program such as Prime95 to make sure the core doesn't overheat?