Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shaky, wavy screen

• Please log in to reply

ehardy00

ehardy00

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I just used the Malware forum to help get rid of some nasty stuff on my computer. It was so helpful and great. However, I thought my shaky screen was a symptom of that malware. And as my computer is now clean and my screen is still almost impossible to read, that is obviously not the case.

I didn't have the problem until the malware got onto my computer. I packed up my CPU and took it to a friend's for him to look at. When we plugged it into his extra monitor, the screen was like wavy. It's hard to describe. It's moving, shaking almost. I can still see the desktop and windows and everything, but it's almost impossible to read due to the motion. At my friend's we just restarted my computer, and the screen was fine.

When I brought my computer back home and plugged it in, the screen did the same thing, only it moved more and is even harder to read. Restarting did nothing.

This is when I figured out it wasn't a monitor problem. It is something within my computer.

I used condensed air and cleaned all the dust away. I checked all of my connections and they are tight.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to do anything else to try and fix it. Some research online seems to think it's a video card problem, which it could be considering my computer is 2 and a half years old. My first thought was maybe the malware did something to my drivers or something to make it do this, since it was working absolutely fine before I got infected.

My video card is ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series. Maybe I can try reinstalling a new driver or something? I'm not sure how they work.

Any suggestions at all?

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i would try updating the drivers, and reseating the graphics card

ehardy00

ehardy00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm sure this makes me look dumb, but I don't know how to update my drivers or reinstall them. =\