Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ok im sure this is a repeat

• Please log in to reply

grlrcr

grlrcr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, ive been searching on the web for answers to my problems...ive gotten lots and ive fixed a few things but it still doesn't work.
ok my computer has been broken for 3 weeks now.
1. i have a keyboard with a shutdown button. so i pressed it to turn it off before going to work and came home to it rebooting. i also had just done some windows xp updates
2. im at work so im not sure of everything. i have an amd processor, asus lan party system board (something like that) and a SATA hard drive. i am running windows xp pro sp2
3. i did a windows repair and found all the files needed to make a new driver disk for my sata hard drive.
4. when doing the windows setup/ repair it said i was missign two files siwinacc.sys and some other file but i went ahead with the repair without them.
i finally got to the desktop and it lasted about 3 minutes before giving me an error message about missing those files and rebooting.
5. i made a new disk with all the files and did a repair again. the repair gave me no error message but then when it was done it started to reboot again and i have yet to see my desktop again.

okay so that is what i have done so far. i was thinking it might be that startup virus w32nochi.worm or whatever but how do i get rid of it without getting to my desktop?? please help me im gonna throw it out the window.
oh and i would really like to not format my hard drive because i have pictures of my sisters wedding that i cannot get back...(i know i should of made a cd)!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you boot into safe mode?

grlrcr

grlrcr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no it keeps rebooting when i do that as well

grlrcr

grlrcr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
help please!!!

freder

freder

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sounds like you have the Sasser Worm. I recommend that you get
Norton Systemworks, then boot up from the installation CD. You can begin a full system virus scan before attempting to load Windows

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

Have you tried booting in safe mode in the Administrator Account?

guymontech

guymontech

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi. You said you had recently done some updates? Was one of them SP 2? We had someone bring a computer in that happened to.

Becky

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Sounds like you have the Sasser Worm.  I recommend that you get
Norton Systemworks, then boot up from the installation CD.  You can begin a full system virus scan before attempting to load Windows

View Post

Even if it is not Sasser, it definatly sounds like a worm or virus of this nature.
To retrieve your pictures
If you have another older machine around the house that you do not care about, (or if you don't hit a couple local yard sales this weekend, you can usually pick something up for under $100)
1. Remove the hard drive from the infected/broken machine.
2. Switch the pin selector to slave,(usually located on the bottom of the HDD)A diagram should be labeled on the HDD for master, slave and cable select.
3. Install the hard drive on the same cable that the hard drive in the old computer is hooked to. (Start at the installed HDD and follow the cable towards the mother board, you will come across a connector, plug it in to the HDD)
4. Now start the computer, goto my computer, select the new drive Usually labeled D and explore until you find your pictures, save them to disc.
Remove the hard drive, place the pin selector back to master and reinstall in original machine.

and then if you have to, REFORMAT, at least you will have your pictures. I had a similar problem with my daughters pictures that were stored on my hard drive, pictures that were taken about 1 minute after C-section, Those pictures meant alot to me, my daughter turns 3 on the 30th and I just recovered those pictures using this method last week. As always though, a reformat should be the last resort.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
grlrcr....man, I hate when I lose track of threads....

if you're still out there (I'd be surprised), what's your status? I can tell you how to recover your stuff, but ultimately this was probably a bad windows update that needs to be removed (command line stuff if you're up to it)