Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netscape 9.0.0.6

• Please log in to reply

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
So my netscape [or I am assuming it's netscape since this only happens when netscape is open] has been acting really weird the past few days. I am getting this weird, excessive, persistant pop-up that says

~.exe has stopped working
Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.

There is a cancel option but if I click it another pop-up pops up [or even if I don't].

If I don't click cancel and it just sits there and "checks for a problem," it can't find one and says A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

These keep coming up over and over and will not stop. I even started Netscape in Safe Mode to no avail.

Any help PLEASE? I don't like other browsers.

Screenshot:
Posted Image

Edit: I'm sorry guys. It's not a browser problem at all! It's some weird file named ~.exe in my system32 folder but when I try to delete it it says I need permission.

Edited by ILoveDaniel, 18 January 2009 - 01:37 AM.

Advertisements

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
This problem isn't going to get resolved itself.
Google isn't helping and none of you guys are either.
A simple "I'm sorry, I don't know what I could do for you." is better than completely ignoring my topic.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

This problem isn't going to get resolved itself.
Google isn't helping and none of you guys are either.
A simple "I'm sorry, I don't know what I could do for you." is better than completely ignoring my topic.

I'm sure there are many people that have given time into a search for an answer, but have come up with nothing... Posting "I'm sorry, I don't know what I could do for you." would be considered irrelevant and noncontributory to the topic, and would probably get removed by a mod...

=======================================

Now for the real problem at hand... ~.exe and the problems you described are associated with malware...
I strongly suggest that you read and follow the instructions found HERE. If you are still having troubles after going through that than read and follow Step #5, in the instructions from the link I provided you with.

For future reference, a "~" is called a tilde. Google Search processes tildes differently, which is why you couldn't find any info on ~.exe... For more information, check out this page.

Good Luck!
~~
piano9playa5

Edited by piano9playa5, 26 January 2009 - 06:56 AM.