Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Type Of AGP Slot Do I Have?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Is there a way to tell what type of AGP slot I have? Trying to figure out if its AGP 4X/8X or AGP 8X. Thought there might be a diagnostic tool that would do it, like Aida32 or WinAudit, but checked those utilities and didn't find my answer.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the side of the case off and have a look, or take a photo and attach it to your post.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get everest 1.51...launch it ...click on the + beside motherboard...chipset...

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Take the side of the case off and have a look, or take a photo and attach it to your post.

OK, photo attached below. Kinda blurry, but I figured you just needed to see the AGP slot to know, unless there's something written or stenciled on the mobo or AGP slot itself, which I didn't see.

[attachment=26595:AGP_Slot_Pic.JPG]

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

go here and get everest 1.51...launch it ...click on the + beside motherboard...chipset...

I have Aida32, which I believe is the same thing as Everest 1.51, just an earlier version. Followed your instructions and found the following:

Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed 4x

I guess that means that when looking at a video card, I can't buy a AGP X8, but need to get a AGP 4X/8X right?

Edited by konakula29er, 19 January 2009 - 05:51 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

yep...

So the ASUS N6600 256 MB, 128-bit video card I have installed right now - and it does say AGP 8X on the front of the box, but under system requirements it says an AGP 8X or AGP 4X compliant motherboard - may not be working at it's full potential because I have it installed on a AGP 4X slot?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...most of the newer cards support the older 4x slots but you will lose a little in the frame rates...
remember this...the mobo is the most important piece of hardware in the system...it decides what it will support...
so choose wisely when you buy /build a new system...ALWAYS get a mobo with some headroom ...spend a extra 50 bucks...for later down the road when you want to upgrade some component...the mobo will support it ...

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

yep...most of the newer cards support the older 4x slots but you will lose a little in the frame rates...
remember this...the mobo is the most important piece of hardware in the system...it decides what it will support...
so choose wisely when you buy /build a new system...ALWAYS get a mobo with some headroom ...spend a extra 50 bucks...for later down the road when you want to upgrade some component...the mobo will support it ...

That's good advice. Thank you for your help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Sorry to jack your thread...

But hey Happy Rock is your avatar supposed to be Kurt Russel in "Escape From L.A."?

:)

By the way to the original thread poster, I have an old pc I souped up myself. I'm using a ATI Sapphire Radeon 9550 128Bit 256MB video card. I highly recommend it if your ever looking for a new one with good specs.