Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aurora pop-ups and others [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

r32_envy

r32_envy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
hi, i'm having a small side problem, i can't get my system to fully boot up.. heres the thing.

I installed Windows XP Home Edition on my pc. but the cd is for a DELL pc. I didn't think anything of it just says use for dell pc's only. so I installed it anyway. now its been asking me for the past week to enter an activation # and Name so I went online and found one and entered it... it said accepted and activated. now the past week every day i boot up there's an air bubble on the systray "5 more days to activate" so i click on it to enter the info again but everytime i click on it, a Window opens. it reads.. "Windows is already activated. Click [OK] to exit. So I have been doing this since I have no other choice. now today was day 1 on the activation. I booted up my PC. and when i enter my user name and password I get the same messege only when i click [OK] it brings me back to the log-on screen and says windows has to be ativated. what should i do. i cant do anything else but click ok and when i click ok it bring me to the login screen and then that messege pops up before i can do anything. please I know this is off the topic but can u help with this too. thanks. really appreciate it.

i dont want to have to wipe my harddrive and reload the disk with a newer version of xp. can u help.

thanks josh

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I'm sorry, I can't help you with that. This doesn't sound like a "good" copy of XP. You should not get the serial number online. You must get a legit version of XP - since this is from Dell, why don't you use their serial key? If you lost it, you can call up Microsoft to get a new key. I think they charge you a small fee for it.

r32_envy

r32_envy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
hi thanks for the help, but im online now, i just loaded my cd of windows M.E. on a spare hard drive. still have that aurora bug on the other drive. can i still clean it out now that i have it as a slave drive?

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
You can try (if the registry still applies). I'm not sure how this would turn out though (since it's a slave drive). Report back the status if you get to do it.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.