Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User Switching Problem

• Please log in to reply

bobkrush

bobkrush

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello,

I am currently having a problem with switching users on my computer. I run Windows XP Professional, and whenever I am logged onto user A and then go to Start>Log off>Switch users and it takes me to the start up screen where I have the option of picking any user, my computer freezes when I attempt to log into user B.

Feel free to have me send any computer information needed, I am eager to learn anything to fix the problem and can follow instructions thoroughly. Thanks.

Advertisements

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Do you know how much memory is in your computer?

You can find this out my going to Start > Control Panel > System

bobkrush

bobkrush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Dont know if this is the answer to your question but... my hard drive has 57.2 available Gigabytes of memory and 26.6 of it is free.

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
No, it's also known as RAM you can still find it at the bottom right if you follow the steps above.....you might also have to switch over to the classic control panel

bobkrush

bobkrush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Oh, right. I have 1G of RAM. Atleast thats what I gather from the system information after following your instructions to find it.

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well...I don't see any problem with user switching...memory wise...

I say this because sometimes a lot of people machines that were upgraded or bought as soon as XP came out came with very little RAM and user switching would take a while..

You might have a virus. Have you ran a virus scan recently??

If you don't have a anti-virus installed on your computer...I recommend AVG Free 8.0

You can also right now run a online virus scan.

Please run an online virus scan at Kaspersky OnLine Scan or if that doesnt work, you can use TrendMicro or BitDefender. You can also try Symantec's Online Security Check If you can please post the scan results.

If you are unable to run the activeX Antivirus Scanners, lets try this Java based solution from Trend Micro.

Edited by The Matt, 23 January 2009 - 03:14 PM.

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
AHH That looks better instead of linking by hand being messed up...haha

bobkrush

bobkrush

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have AVG installed on my computer and it runs system scans everynight. Also I just ran an assortment of computer doctoring programs when I wrote in a report on a RUN DLL error to another section of the geekstogo.com forums. So I wouldnt think that its a virus. But if you want me to run one of your specific virus finders please let me know.